Chapter 7

As Ash and Serena traverse the bustling streets of Fiero City, the sweltering heat of the hot springs envelops them, the air thick with humidity. Seeking relief from the oppressive warmth, Ash takes to fanning himself with a makeshift fan, his movements languid as he navigates the city's winding pathways alongside Serena.

"It really is hot here, don't you agree, Serena?" Ash's inquiry breaks the silence, his gaze turning towards his companion expectantly. However, to his surprise, Serena appears lost in thought, her brow furrowed in contemplation.

"Serena?" Ash's voice carries a note of concern as he calls out to her, but his words seem to fall upon deaf ears as Serena remains ensconced in her reverie.

"Eek! Yes?" Serena startles, her attention abruptly snapped back to the present as she meets Ash's gaze.

"What are you thinking about?" Ash's curiosity is palpable as he seeks to unravel the mystery of Serena's preoccupation.

"N...Nothing at all!" Serena's response is swift, her attempt to deflect the question evident as she averts her gaze, a faint blush tingeing her cheeks.

As Ash observes Serena's inner turmoil, his concern deepens, prompting him to gently urge her to share her thoughts.

"Your heart is saying otherwise. Just tell me what is in your mind?" Ash's words are gentle yet insistent, his unwavering support evident in his earnest gaze.

Serena hesitates, her resolve wavering before she finally decides to confide in Ash. "It's just my sister Helen," she begins, her voice tinged with a hint of vulnerability. "She recently won the Master Chef Junior competition in the Sevestar Region. I can't help but feel a little concerned. She's found her dream in cooking, but I... I don't know what mine is."

Ash listens attentively, his empathy radiating as he absorbs Serena's words. After a moment of contemplation, he offers his reassurance, his voice gentle yet steadfast.

"It's fine. Not many people have found their dreams that early. You can think of it anytime, even while you're traveling," Ash assures her, his unwavering support a beacon of solace amidst Serena's uncertainty.

But Serena's frown deepens as she grapples with her own doubts. "But..." she begins, her voice trailing off as she struggles to articulate her fears. "I had a Skiddo Race with my mom to prove my determination... but if I didn't have a dream..."

Sensing Serena's distress, Ash reaches out, his hand gently enveloping hers in a gesture of comfort. Serena's blush deepens at the unexpected intimacy, but she finds solace in Ash's reassuring presence as he speaks.

"Serena, if you really don't know your dream, just think about what you love, what you want. It's not good for you to be sad about this," Ash encourages her, his voice infused with sincerity and compassion.

For a moment, Serena is speechless, her heart stirred by Ash's unwavering belief in her potential. "You're right," she finally murmurs, a sense of clarity dawning within her as she realizes that perhaps her journey to discovering her dream has only just begun.

"That reminds me, your sister is very busy these days in the restaurant, right? Considering that the news of her winning the Master Chef Junior Competition really has attracted a lot of people to the hotel?" Ash remarks, his tone thoughtful as he acknowledges the impact of Helen's culinary prowess on their family's business.

"Yeah," Serena responds with a nod, a hint of pride evident in her voice. "I know that this hotel is owned by my Dad, considering that he is a gym leader here. Though most people come there now because of Helen's cooking instead of the gym battle. And that might be able to help him focus on his own gym duties in the Galar Region."