Chapter 12

"Eve! What happened to you!" Alice's voice rings out in a pitch of horror, her eyes widening in disbelief at the sight before her.

In the dimly lit room, amidst the flickering shadows, Eve lies motionless on the cold floor, a stark contrast to the lively energy she usually exudes. Alice's heart races as she rushes to Eve's side, her hands trembling as she searches desperately for any sign of life. Pressing her ear against Eve's chest, she listens intently, her breath catching in her throat. Panic courses through her veins as she feels the faint, erratic beat of Eve's weakening pulse.

Flora, her usually composed demeanor faltering, springs into action. "I'm calling the doctor right away!" she declares, her voice edged with urgency.

With a nod of acknowledgment, Alice braces herself, her hands steady as she begins to administer CPR, each compression a desperate plea for Eve's survival. Time seems to blur as she focuses solely on the rhythm of her compressions, willing life back into Eve's fragile form.

As minutes stretch into eternity, the distant wail of sirens pierces through the chaos, signaling the arrival of the ambulance. With practiced efficiency, paramedics rush in, their presence a beacon of hope in the midst of despair. Together, they carefully lift Eve onto a stretcher, their movements swift and purposeful.

Outside the confines of the room, Ash and his family arrive, their faces etched with worry as they rush to join Alice and Flora in the hospital's bustling waiting room. Ash's eyes search frantically for answers, his concern mirrored in the furrow of his brow.

"Alice, we're here. What's happened?" Ash's voice is tinged with apprehension, his gaze never leaving Alice's face.

Unable to find the words to convey the magnitude of the situation, Alice finds solace in Ash's embrace, her tears flowing freely against his comforting warmth. Beside her, Flora takes a steadying breath, her voice trembling slightly as she recounts the harrowing events that led them to this moment.

"Eve suffered a sudden cardiac arrest," Flora explains, her voice steady despite the turmoil raging within. "Thankfully, we found her in time, and Alice administered CPR. But the situation remains critical. Right now, Eve is unconscious, and the doctors are doing everything they can to stabilize her."

As tension thickens in the air, Professor Berlitz arrives, his presence commanding attention amidst the whirlwind of emotions. Adam's voice breaks through the silence, his concern palpable as he seeks answers.

"What is Eve's condition, Blade?" Adam's voice quivers with apprehension, his eyes searching Blade's face for any hint of reassurance.

Blade, his expression grave yet determined, steps forward to address the anxious group. "The doctors are doing their best," he begins, his voice steady despite the weight of the situation. "They're utilizing an AED to revive her. But we must understand the severity of the situation. Sudden cardiac death is a formidable adversary, claiming countless lives worldwide, often without warning."

He pauses, his gaze shifting briefly to Eve's still form. "Given her age, it's unlikely attributed to lifestyle factors like smoking. We must consider genetic predispositions as a possible culprit," Blade continues, his words heavy with implication. "Thankfully, the swift actions of her sisters in administering CPR have likely mitigated the worst of it. However, we cannot afford to be complacent. Eve will need to remain under close observation as we monitor her heartbeat."

As the gravity of the situation sinks in, the group exchanges worried glances, a silent understanding passing between them. With heavy hearts, they make the necessary arrangements, settling the expenses for their hotel stay and relocating to the Pokémon Center in Purgh City. Though the journey back to Otem Town beckons, their concerns for Eve's well-being outweigh any semblance of normalcy.