Meet the Leader: Ch 2

Alby had properly introduced himself to me. Turns out, he was the leader of the Glade. He'd taken me to the kitchen where I met a boy named Frypan. A rather odd name, but he was probably the nicest person I had encountered so far. Apparently, he was also the Keeper of the Cooks. Alby explained that there were various jobs, all of which I would have to try out for soon, and each one had a "Keeper" to be in charge of them. I was starting to feel rather anxious about how I would fit in the Glade.

"Next up, meet the Track-Hoes!" he announced.

"The Track-what-nows?" I suddenly asked. The words seemed to spill out from my mouth before I even realized it, and according to the way Alby start cracking up- it was hilarious. 

"Greenie, you could've said anything else for your first words after coming up the box. Maybe even asked questions like everyone else. But no, that was what you chose to say!" he managed to say between his laughs. 

My cheeks felt like they were getting red from embarrassment by now.

"Seems like this ones gonna be a funny newbie. Hey Greenie, I'm Zart. Keeper of the Track-Hoes. Lovely name, am I right?" chuckled a boy with light blonde curly hair. He pushed his hand out to me and I hesitantly shook it. 

___________________________________________________________

     Alby and I now sat up on the Watch Tower. Thankfully, the tour went pretty well. Despite my rather frantic state, all the boys were respectful and welcoming. A Med-Jack named Jeff even gave me some water and an ice pack which helped me pull myself together a bit. 

Still, there was one big piece of information missing. What was the big gap in one of the walls? If there was a way out of here, why didn't anyone leave? And those were only my questions about the Glade itself. There were still so many mysteries about my life before this. 

"Hey Alby, what's beyond that big gap in the walls? And what are the walls even for?" I questioned whilst pointing my finger.

He seemed to be contemplating what response to give me. 

"You'll find out soon enough. I've just learned that it's better for the newbies to get used to things first before trying to handle a lotta other information, since it could be pretty overwhelming. Speaking of the gap though, that leads me to the three rules of the Glade. One of them is to never go beyond there. It's for your safety. Not only that, but if you happen to go out there too late you might get trapped- since those are actually doors. Can ya promise me you won't try anything Greenie?"

Although I was only more confused by what Alby just told me, I nodded. I don't think I will be checking out what's outside these walls until I've gotten myself situated. Not yet.

"The other two rules are to never hurt another glader and to always do your part. To keep a place like this running, we can't have any freeloaders."

Rather than continuing to explain things, Alby just looked at me. Differently than he had been this whole time. He gave me a small yet sympathetic smile.

"Are there any other girls here I could meet?" I wondered after a moment of silence. From what I could see up on the tower, there were only boys.

"Unfortunately, no. You're the first girl any of us can remember seeing. Don't know why you've come up into a place with all boys. Things will probably be a little different from now on. Actually, I was planning on having a Gathering to discuss you sometime. If you'd like to attend- which I suggest you do- you're welcome to."

"A Gathering? What's that?"

"Well, it's when all the Keepers and people in command have a meeting together. I thought we should establish some more rules to keep you safe. Not to worry you or imply anything about these boys, but I think it will help us all make sure things are running smoothly. But if you're uncomfortable going, that's alright. No pressure."

"Hmm...I'll consider it. Thank you for that though Alby."

"Of course. Oh, and there was one last thing I wanted to bring up before I leave you alone for while. As you saw, all the boys sleep in hammocks near the woods except for the higher-ups who have their own rooms in the homestead."

"Yeah, am I gonna get a hammock too? Who will I be next to?" I asked.

 If I was being honest, I really was not looking forward to sleeping right next to a bunch of teenage boys. The Box was already claustrophobic enough. Plus, what if there were weirdos? I had gained some trust in Alby, the Keepers, and maybe even Newt- but there were still lots of other people here who I hardly knew. 

"No, no. I was actually thinking we could build you a hut or add a room to the Homestead for you! It's only fair that the Glade Princess gets some special treatment. I could ask the Builders what your options are at the Gathering. For now, I'll let you have my room."

This was definitely going to make me more comfortable in the Glade. I would actually have space for myself!

"Oh, thank you!" I exclaimed. To my surprise, I'd given Alby a hug. Maybe experiencing my first moment of excitement had me acting a bit extreme. 

"But...where will you sleep?"

"Don't worry 'bout me. I'll either find a spare hammock or crash in Newt's room." he laughed. 

"Alright then. Why does Newt have a room in the Homestead though? Is he a Keeper too?"

"Nah, he's actually the Second-in-Command. Basically means that whenever I'm not around, he's in charge. He also helps me make decisions and is overall one of my best friends in this place."

Seeing the way Alby lit up when he spoke about Newt even made me smile. 

"I'll try to arrange a time for you two to properly meet. Or, you'll see him at the Bonfire tonight. Sorta our way of welcoming you. It's gonna be a lotta fun and the perfect opportunity for you to make some friends."

"Sounds great. Thanks again Alby."

"My pleasure she-bean. See you tonight!" he shouted as he climbed his way down the tower. 

I stayed there for a while overlooking the Glade. As the sun began to set over the walls, I promised myself one thing. I will figure all of this out for us. 

A/N: Clearly this is NOT book Alby