Wake up: Ch.20

Trigger Warning: Mentions of suicide

More and more memories kept flashing through my mind one after the other. It was a lot. Overwhelming.

When it all came to a stop suddenly, I thought that was it for me. That I would finally be dead because of my stupid decision to get stung by a Griever on purpose.

Instead, my eyes opened to a dark room. The Medhut.

I was laying on a bed, except I was tied down with ropes. They were around my wrists and ankles- very tightly- just like my memories.

No, no, no, no. I need to get out.

Within seconds I was already squirming to get out of the restraints. I had no clue what was happening or if this was just another memory, but I just couldn't handle being tied up again.

My thrashing around only came to a stop when I heard a groan from a few feet away.

"Alice? You're awake?"

It was Newt, and I guess I had woken him up. I couldn't give him a proper response though, I had still been trying to process and figure out what happened.

Thomas, Variable, The Phoenix, Brenda, brother, WCKD, cure-

"You're awake." he repeated, seeming more alert as he walked right up to me.

I stared up at him and tried to catch my breath, feeling like my head was going to explode from the aching pain.

"Are you alright? Well- no, of course you aren't. Let me just untie you, yeah? I'm so sorry about that, but we had to." he said gently, getting right to untying me from the bed.

"How long was I out for?" I whispered.

"About..." he threw the ropes aside, "a week probably."

An entire shucking week.

A lot could happen in the Glade within a week.

"I've been hanging around the Medhut since you got stung."

Newt paused, maybe realizing that I could take what he said in another way.

"Just to make sure you didn't escape the restraints before you were supposed to, of course."

I had been zoned out though, so I didn't really pay him much attention.

Thomas, Variable, The Phoenix, Brenda, brother, WCKD, cure, Sonya, Mazes, Dr. Paige-

"You wanna go back to your hut for the rest of the night?" he asked in a slightly awkward tone.

Right, he was probably still confused about how I distanced myself from him out of nowhere before the whole Griever situation.

"Mhm,"

As I tried to get up from the bed, every little movement I made hurt. A lot.

"Actually," I winced and laid back down, "I'll stay here for tonight."

He stared, looking like he was debating about something in his mind.

"Alright, I'm going back to my room, but if you need anything Noah's right there."

Newt pointed at another cot in the room, and Noah was sleeping in what looked like a very uncomfortable position.

"Why's he here?" I asked with a million worries rushing through my mind.

Did Noah get hurt? He hates coming to the Medhut.

"Poor kid's been worried sick. He's been here just as much as I have, and I've been trying to help him out, but it's no use."

Suddenly my chest tightened with a feeling of guilt. Noah had spent the past week in the Medhut for me, even though all the injuries that came through that place gave him the creeps.

"Well, uh, goodnight Alice. See you tomorrow, maybe?"

That only added to the feeling of guilt. I had distanced myself from Newt so much that he wasn't even sure if I'd talk to him the next day.

"Yeah, goodnight Newt."

And with that, he shut the door, leaving me in the dark and eerily silent Medhut.

I didn't want to sleep though. It felt like if I went back to sleep, I would be stuck in the memories from the Changing again.

So I laid there with the same words repeating in my head over and over.

Thomas, Variable, The Phoenix, Brenda, brother, WCKD, cure, Sonya, Mazes, Dr. Paige

***

A couple of hours passed, judging by the rising sun peeking through inside the Medhut.

I stayed staring up at the ceiling. It wasn't like I wanted to or even could get up anyway.

"Ally? Ally!"

Two arms wrapped me up into a hug and I immediately knew it was Noah.

"Hey, kid." I chuckled, hugging him back.

"That wasn't funny. Not one bit. Don't ever do something like that again."

"I know, I know. Sorry. It was stupid. I'd gotten so caught up in trying to figure things out that I didn't give my plan a second thought."

We stayed hugging in silence for a few more seconds until Noah pulled away looking at me with teary eyes.

"You know," he sniffled, "Minho was worried too. He thought you tried to kill yourself. I don't know why he thought that, but he was really panicked when he brought you back to the Glade. Rushed you straight to the Medjacks like his life depended on it."

Kill myself? Minho should know I'd never do that. All my life revolves around escaping the Maze, nothing else.

"I'll be sure to thank him for that." I said.

"You better. You wouldn't be alive if he hadn't brought you back."

(A/N: In case I didn't make it clear enough, the main reason Alice was "overreacting" about the ropes was because she now has some trauma over being tied up, since she has her memories back)