Chapter 5

🫶🏻🫶🏻 . Isla

"Hurry up James! Moony and Wormtail will be here any minute." Sirius bellowed from down the stairs.

"Thank you for reminding me! I'd almost forgotten, in the five minutes since you said the same thing." James shouted back.

James was stood outside of Regulus's room, deciding whether to knock or not. He paused for a moment and then knocked lightly.

"Come in" said a soft voice from inside. James turned the handle and pushed through and into the room. He leaned against the door and watched Regulus as he hurriedly put his books and the last of his clothes into his trunk, ready for the return to Hogwarts the next day. He barely paid any notice to James; he was too focused on ensuring he had everything. The curtains were open, and the afternoon sun coated the room in golden light. As James looked at Regulus, he couldn't help but compare the boy now to the boy he'd seen on that night two months ago. Two months ago, he had been terrified, untrusting, cold, and angry. Now, he was warmer, less angry, he didn't flinch whenever a door slammed anymore, James couldn't hear him hyperventilating in his sleep when he passed the room anymore, he seemed happier. He was different physically too, after weeks of cooking and helping in the library, as well as regular quidditch matches with James and Sirius, he was much stronger and looked less fragile. His skin was pinker, not the ghostly white it had been, his hair curled gently at his shoulders now, like Sirius's and his eyes were brighter, no longer sunken and full of sadness. James felt fiercely protective of Regulus, the same way he did for Sirius and seeing him so much happier and healthier made his heart swell slightly.

"Remus and Peter are apparently closing in on us, you ready?" James spoke as Regulus finally closed his trunk. Their eyes met and James flashed Regulus a smile.

"Are you sure you don't mind me crashing your night? I really don't mind staying in here." Regulus scratched the back of his head nervously. That evening was to play host to the Marauder's yearly, end of summer, bonfire night. They would sit around and tell stories, play games, eat too much food and talk excitedly about the pranks they had planned for the next school year.

"We are not having this conversation again!" James laughed. "We have to celebrate the end of a great summer and you being able to stay here permanently" James crossed his fingers and waved them towards Regulus, winking at him. "Come on! Sirius might explode if we don't hurry up" Regulus smiled softly and nodded.

An hour later, the five boys were sitting on fold-out camping chairs around a large fire, in front of the Potter's pond. Remus was sat next to Sirius and they kept whispering to each other and then laughing. Peter sat between Sirius and James, happily gorging himself on the cakes Mrs Potter had made them. James sat next to Regulus and the two were engaged in a heated conversation about the best way to catch the snitch in a game. The fire had been a stroke of genius, created by Fleamont, he'd lit it the muggle way and charmed it so it wouldn't need maintaining and would extinguish at exactly 8am. It covered the boys in warmth as the sun dipped below the horizon and the stars began to appear.

"Let's play truth or dare!" Sirius exclaimed. The other boys all nodded in agreement and then, to everyone's surprise, Peter produced a bottle of Firewhiskey from his bag.

"How did you get your hands on that Wormtail?" James gaped.

"Dad's got loads of them and I thought it might be fun to have it tonight at the 'Annual Marauders" He looked at over at Regulus "and guest, Return to Hogwarts Bonfire'. Right?" Peter stared around at all of the boys; they were all looking to James for an answer. He always had the answer. He looked conflicted for a moment and then jumped up and threw an arm around Peter's shoulders.