Chapter 11

I'm so sorry this is another sad chapter. Isla

Regulus stood still, staring at the plain brick wall before him. He was trying to focus hard on controlling his breathing and slowing his racing heartbeat. The world around him had become blurry and all of the voices were muffled, it was as though he had tunnel vision on the wall. Before Christmas, Fleamont had organised a port key for the boys to use to get home from Hogwarts, but they were expected to take the Hogwarts Express back in January. Regulus watched, in a trance, as Remus, Sirius and James ran through the brick wall and onto the platform he knew awaited them. He couldn't stop thinking about what happened last time he was here, last time he stepped onto that platform. He choked down the terrified tears, swallowed hard, clenched his fists and walked through the wall.

James and Remus were hauling their luggage onto the train, but Sirius had waited behind a bit. He smiled at Regulus and took his trunk for him, he let Regulus walk ahead of him to ensure he could see him at all times. Regulus let out a sigh of relief as he sat down in The Marauder's compartment. He was still trying to allow his heart to return to its normal pace when Sirius began complaining about the seating arrangements that year. Remus and Lily were Prefects, which meant they had to attend meetings on the train and sit in a separate compartment, Sirius took this very personally. Regulus sat in the seat next to the window and Peter sat beside him, James sat opposite Regulus and Sirius sat next to him. Mary and Marlene had entered at some point and were sat next to each other, beside Peter.

"It ruins tradition. We always sit in this compartment together, always!" Sirius whined. James wasn't paying much attention; he was more focused on the intense look on Regulus's face. He was staring out of the window and counting slowly on his fingers. James wanted to reach out and touch his fingers, or hold his hand, but he didn't.

"Get over it Sirius! Your precious Moony has returned." Peter pointed to the doorway where Remus was stood, having just finished his meeting. Sirius face lit up and he patted the seat next to him. Remus sat down and instantly took Sirius hand into his own and held it on his lap. It was such a natural thing for them to do now, they were always holding hands or hugging or just touching in some way or another. James loved Sirius and Remus together, they were an amazing pair, and they were so in love with each other that everyone could see it. He looked over at Regulus, who was now talking to Peter. He wanted to be able to sit next to him and intertwine their fingers, or brush that one bit of hair out of his eyes, but he couldn't. Regulus had been adamant that the world would fall apart if everyone found out, but James wasn't so sure. Everyone had been so happy for Sirius and Remus, there was no indication that they wouldn't receive the same warmth. James looked back at Remus and Sirius's hands, desperate to speak, to tell the truth, but Regulus face in his head stopped him from speaking. That heart-shattering, real smile he'd given him in the snow and the library, he'd do anything to see that smile forever. James hadn't noticed how obviously he was staring at the clasped hands, until Marlene spoke.

"I can hold your hand if you're jealous James!" She laughed as she threw the box for her chocolate frog at James. His eyes met hers, and for a second, they seemed painfully sad, but the sadness was quickly replaced with happiness as he laughed back at her.

Once they'd arrived back at Hogwarts, the group was forced to go their separate ways for the first time in weeks. The girls quickly disappeared off, but the boys seemed to be stalling. Regulus could sense Sirius hesitation to leave him to return to Slytherin alone, Sirius kept starting new conversations or bursting into long and intricate stories. After a short while Peter had grown bored and was pleading with the others to go to the dorm with him, as they were all still stood in the hallway.

"Pete's got a point! I should get back to my dorm too." Regulus forced a small smile for Sirius, hoping he would finally let him go. Sirius was forced to concede and nodded to Peter. The boys all said goodbye to Regulus, who returned the sentiment and began wandering back to the dungeons. He had the same sense of dread he had grown accustomed to, the dread that came with the thought of having to live with Crouch and his judging eyes, or the rest of the Slytherins who only tolerated him on the Quidditch pitch. He held onto the handle of the door to his dorm for a moment, debating whether or not it was even worth it. He wasn't ever close with his roommates apart from Crouch and he now hated him. He scolded himself for being so cowardly, Sirius would never back down like this, and he turned the handle and entered the room. It looked the same as it had for the past five years, but Regulus's blood ran cold as he entered further, there was something wrong in the air, but he couldn't pinpoint what it was. He quickly ignored the feeling, chalking it up to being nervous about being back, and started unpacking his case.