Chapter 9

James's warm breath danced across Regulus's bare chest as they embraced each other. Laying in James's bed, in their underwear, the two boys held one another closely. They'd grown accustomed to the other's touch, the way they breathed, each rise and fall of their body. Regulus could find the exact spot on James's collarbone where he'd broken it years ago, just by touch. James would run his fingers along Regulus's cheekbones and jaw and admire how defined they were. They fit together so perfectly; it was as though they were created with the purpose of finding each other. They were each other's balance, they kept the other grounded, kept them moving forward. For every time Regulus was scared, James was fierce and brave. For every time James was arrogant, Regulus was modest and forgiving. They had found each other without even knowing they were searching.

James used his fingers to trace the silver scar on Regulus's stomach. Regulus pulled away, turning over so that he was laying on his front, looking directly at James. He sighed deeply as his eyes poured over James's face.

"You're perfect" James breathed out. He cupped Regulus face in his warm hands and pulled him in for a sweet kiss.

The two remained in bed, entwined together, for most of the day. Sirius and Remus were studying all day and then heading for a Hogsmeade date in the afternoon. Peter was hiding in the library, trying to catch up of six years' worth of studying in one day. Even though they had the whole day to themselves, the curtains around James's bed were charmed shut and they had also placed a locking charm on the dorm room door. The two lovers talked for hours, about Christmas, about dates, about Quidditch, about everything and nothing all at once. Regulus would plant soft kisses along James chest as he hugged his body to his, in return James would leave bruising kisses along Regulus's jaw and neck. They were completely content, so peaceful and happy, looking forward to spending Christmas together, sneaking around and trying to hide from Sirius and Remus. Euphemia had invited Remus to stay for the Christmas holiday as soon as James had written and told her about Sirius and him.

"Can't wait to beat you at Quidditch, as usual" James laughed into Regulus's hair.

"Excuse me! Who expertly caught the snitch in that match?" Regulus retorted.

"You only won because I let you." James tickled Regulus's side, making him squirm.

"Yeah, whatever helps you sleep at night Potter!" Regulus smirked at James.

James rolled over, pinning Regulus beneath him. He clasped his wrists in his hands and pressed his own body heavily onto Regulus, holding him in place. Regulus laughed as he tried to wriggle free from James's hold, but without the use of his hands he was no match. He was at James's mercy, until he had an idea. He leaned up and pressed their lips together, at the same time he pressed his hips upwards into James's. James let out an involuntary gasp as their bodies connected. Feeling the tension between them. Regulus, satisfied with his power move, rested his head back on the pillow and poked his tongue out at James. To Regulus's surprise, James quickly moved his head down and caught his tongue with his teeth. Regulus let out a groan when James pushed his own tongue into his mouth. James finally let go of Regulus's arms as he moved his hands down to wrap around his waist, desperately pulling him closer. They kissed each other hungrily, as Regulus ran his fingers up and down James's bare back.

There was a loud bang from the door to the dorm. Regulus and James sprang apart, panting hard, hearts racing. James peered through the gap in the curtains, but the room was still empty.

"James are you in there? The doors stuck again!" Sirius's voice called from the other side of the door. Regulus's eyes widened as Sirius continued trying to force his way through the door. James looked around desperately for somewhere to hide Regulus before his eyes landed on a piece of fabric. He quickly threw the invisibility cloak over Regulus and dove back on his bed, grabbing a book and pretending to act natural. He waved his wand at the door, in time for Sirius to come crashing into the room.