Chapter 8

The night before Sirius's 17th birthday saw the group all gathered in the Gryffindor Common room, waiting for the clock to strike midnight. Sirius and Remus were sat together on one of the battered crimson armchairs that creaked loudly every time someone moved on them. Mary, Lily, Marlene and James were squished together on the small sofa of the same, if slightly faded after all its years of service, colour. Peter and Regulus were playing a game of chess on the floor in front of the others. They were all soaking in the warmth of the fire and discussing their Christmas plans. Moments like that did, and forever would, feel like home. Warm, happy, content and best of all - together.

"Can I have everyone's attention please?" Sirius spoke loudly across the group.

"When do you not have everyone's attention?" Marlene snorted, poking her tongue out at Sirius.

"I just had to check first." He laughed and flicked his middle finger at Marlene. His expression faltered as he continued speaking. Regulus looked at him and saw a flicker of fear in Sirius's grey eyes as he looked around at his closest friends. "Um... Well... The thing is..." Sirius was wiping his hands on his legs, still sat on the arm of Remus's chair. He looked down at Remus with a look of complete desperation. Sirius had never been shy before in his entire life, but he suddenly looked as though he might puke if everyone kept looking at him. Remus took his hand into his own and smiled softly at him. Sirius took a deep breath and turned back to the, now worried, group surrounding him.

"Remus and I are together." He blurted out, Remus just laughed slightly and squeezed his hand tighter. "We're a couple"

"A couple of friends?" Peter said in an utterly confused voice. Regulus was sure he'd never seen anyone look as genuinely confused as Peter did in that moment.

"No Pete, like a romantic couple. Boyfriends" Remus spoke softly to Peter.

Regulus didn't know how to react. It wasn't that he didn't support them, it would be a tad hypocritical if he didn't, but he hadn't expected it. Now it was out in the open though, he felt stupid for not realising sooner. The way they whispered to each other, how they always sat as close as possible, how Sirius always looked a little bit too happy after one of their 'study sessions'. It was so glaringly obvious to them all now.

After a moment of thought, the room suddenly burst into life. Lily threw herself at Remus, hugging him tightly. Remus was beaming over her shoulder, consumed by love and happiness. James was on his feet and patting Sirius on the back, as though he'd been waiting for this moment. Mary was giggling excitedly and asking every question that could possibly be asked. When did it start? Who initiated the relationship? Who's the better kisser? Who's on top? When's the wedding? Etc etc. Everyone was laughing hard, giddy with the overwhelming sense of love and acceptance in the room. Poor Peter was still trying to process the information and was remaining mute, but smiling nonetheless. Marlene had joined Lily and piled on top of Remus too, planting kisses on his rosy cheeks. Regulus hugged Sirius tightly and whispered how happy he was for him. Sirius's eyes were glistening with tears when they broke apart and he smiled so brightly that it rivalled the sun. Remus looked over at Regulus, catching his eye for a moment. Regulus nodded at the other boy and smiled once again. Remus let out a breath and laughed slightly. A feeling of relief.

When everyone had calmed down and Peter had finally re-joined them all in the land of the living, they all settled back into their places. This time Sirius had Remus's hand clasped tightly in his. James had moved to sit with Peter, quietly explaining to the other boy that this doesn't change anything, it's better now. Marlene and Lily were sat together on the floor, giggling like children and beaming at Remus and Sirius still. Mary had sat herself very close to Regulus. She was talking dreamily to him about how romantic it all was and how it makes her wish she had a boyfriend. Regulus was just nodding along and occasionally saying something like "yes very romantic" or "it is cute, you're right" but he wasn't truly paying attention. He couldn't stop looking at James.