Chapter 16

Regulus stopped at the door step, staring at the door frame with almost the same amount of fear he'd had when he first encountered it almost a year before. This time was different. He had James beside him, holding his hand tightly, supporting him. Regulus looked at James, his heart beating faster than usual, his hands sweatier than usual. James didn't say anything, he simply squeezed Regulus's hand before entering the house, pulling Regulus in behind him. They stepped through the usual wall of magical warmth and comfort, the one Regulus had noticed so long ago, stopping in the entrance hall ready to face whatever was awaiting them. Regulus looked up from his feet, finding Euphemia standing in the hallway before them. She had an unreadable expression, flour in her hair and a pink apron on. Regulus gently pulled his hand away from James's and stepped towards the woman, not knowing what to say but ready to explain whatever she needed explaining.

In all honesty, he was scared. He was scared that Euphemia wouldn't want him to be with her son, after all he was a Black heir, notoriously cunning and evil to the core. He was afraid that they would kick him out, thinking he was manipulating James or abusing their kindness and hospitality. He braced himself for whatever she might say.

Euphemia stepped towards Regulus, still silent and impossible to read. Regulus forced himself to look her in the eye, and in that moment she saw his fear, felt his worry. She knew that this boy would never hurt James, never manipulate anyone. She knew without question how genuine and loving he was and how much he deserved to be loved too. So, she threw her arms around him, pulling the boy close to her. He was already much taller than her and she felt his relief as he relaxed into her embrace and rested his head on top of hers.

"What an interesting turn of events. Fleamont and I had been anticipating something might happen with you two since Christmas." Euphemia said, releasing Regulus and pinching his cheeks fondly. He laughed softly, eyes glistening. "We're glad to have you all home." Euphemia said sweetly to the boys, cupping James's cheeks in her hands and squishing his face slightly.

"It's good to be home." Sirius smiled as Euphemia gave him a warm hug. Before she turned to Remus, checking for any new, obvious scars. She gave him a hug too, whispering something to him that made him smile.

"Who wants French toast?" Euphemia laughed, already walking through the house to the kitchen.

"ME!" Sirius shouted, sprinting after her. He dragged Remus with him, clasping his jumper sleeve in his hand as he burst through the doors to the kitchen.

"You can relax now." James whispered to Regulus, nudging him slightly as he passed him, heading for food. Regulus just smiled in return. Taking a moment to appreciate Euphemia and her kind, loving heart. Taking a moment to realise how lucky he was to have someone like her in his life, to care for him.

Later that evening, Regulus was back in the library with Fleamont. They were discussing all the renovations Regulus had planned for over the summer, all the new books he wanted to order, all the plans they had. They discussed everything they'd read since they last saw each other. Regulus shyly handed over the book he'd just finished, promising Fleamont that it was worth the read. It was called The Seagull, and though Fleamont had read it before he didn't let Regulus know, because it was the first book Regulus had ever recommended him. For the past year Fleamont had sent Regulus countless recommendations, but Regulus had never had the courage to give one back, he was afraid Fleamont wouldn't like the book, that he would think Regulus had bad taste and then wouldn't listen to his comments on books anymore. Finally, as Regulus had finished reading the book, he knew immediately that he wanted to discuss it with Fleamont, so he took that opportunity to recommend it. Fleamont thanked him and smiled widely as he exchanged it for the book he had just finished reading himself. Carrie by Stephen King. Regulus scanned over the blurb on the back cover and wondered if he would like it. It was a horror book, not Regulus's usual genre, and was very modern, only a few years old.