Chapter Five: With Friends Like These

A few days ago, Darcy had been wondering how she'd be able to find food and catch it. She'd had no money, no bow, and no sense of direction. Now she had the first two and a place to stay. The direction was still up for debate.

The troupe had led her and Kasi to a room in a nearby inn where they were given food and a small share of the money made from the performance. They talked nonstop, pestering Darcy with questions about where she'd come from and where she'd learned to play. Most of the questions she managed to answer truthfully, but her origins she found difficult to keep quiet. In the end, she told them a half truth.

"My family is from Rosado, in Granatal. We were anyway. My mother left when she found out she was pregnant with me," Darcy explained after she'd taken a bite of food. She could see Kasi pocketing dry food while the others were busy talking. If he wanted to be prepared she wouldn't stop him. He'd apparently decided she was going to be his mentor whether she wanted it or not and she was certain he'd share what he took.

Cedric reclined on the large plush couch set up in front of the fireplace. His long limbs took up enough space that only he fit where two people should have. Oddly, no one else complained about being stuck on the floor or stool. Only Krea had been bold enough to shove him to one side so she could take a seat. He was probably more willing to share given that he was so focused on Dacry.

Before they'd played she'd been tightlipped about her past, but the longer she was with them the more she felt she could tell. Only Azariah's warning kept her from pulling the medal of Saint Jeremy out to make the entire explanation easier.

"I was wondering, if you have no immediate plans, would you like to join us?" Cedric asked.

"Oh, I don't think I should. I really am quite far from my original course," Darcy replied, shooting a glance at Kasi. "I'm meant to be on my way to Mooncross." Now with an extra person and most likely a nouyip to worry about she'd need to redefine her plans. Maybe Kasi would have a better idea of where to go. At least the thief might prove to be useful to some degree.

A low humming began. It filled Darcy's head like a stone in a basket that would slowly sink it to the bottom of the river. She'd often done such things when washing clothes. By holding down the clothes with heavy stones, the water would wash over them and take the soap while Darcy focused on anything else. If she wasn't careful it could take the smaller pieces and she'd spend the day hunting down a rogue sock.

"We were actually going to make our way to Mooncross. You should join us," Cedric said. He wasn't asking anymore. His panpipes rested on his lap where he ran a finger over the leather that held it together.

All of Darcy's arguments and reservations felt so small now. Why shouldn't she join them? They knew so much of the world and were willing to help her. This was surely a gift from the gods to help her on her way. Her head bobbed up and down with growing force. "Yes, I should join you."

Kasi pinched the back of her arm just above the elbow. His other hand had disappeared into one of his pockets. Crumbs dusted his pants on that side.

The pain from the pinch hit Darcy like an arrow and she nodded again. "You know, I think maybe I should just sleep on this. Big decision and all that." She stood and pulled Kasi with her. The others around the room shifted in their seats and the pressure over her head drifted down to her eyes.

Nights in the Verosen Woods could become so dark it was like ink had been poured across everything. It usually happened in spring when the leaves had gone out of control in their growth. On those nights, people were more likely to go missing. Whether it be to a prowling animal with superior vision or a wrong step down a path, a body was usually found by daybreak. It was those nights that made people weary of the woods.