Chapter Thirteen - Don't Rock the Boat

Darcy's thoughts were as unsteady as the wooden deck under her feet. The Dorothea was making good progress down the Sleeping River towards where Captain Danny remembered the pirates lurked. No one else looked particularly worried about the entire excursion and that only irked Darcy more.

While Cedric had been off filling Captain Danny's ears with honeyed words, Percy had been filling Darcy's with plans she'd unknowingly become a part of. Somehow she'd gone from a calm and cheerful jaunt across Norodon to a quest for kingdom takeover.

From what she could understand through Percy's jumbled explanations, Cedric planned to remove the current king of Norodon from his place in Mooncross and nominate someone more worthy. His reasoning was mostly centered around political corruption which Percy told her was frequently found in all kingdoms no matter how prosperous and happy the citizens were. The difference was the Norodian king had taken advantage of his position for his own greed.

It wasn't the most outlandish thought process. After seeing the cultists in Xathe, Darcy could believe important problems had slipped through the cracks. That surely called for a closer look from their ruling family. A complete overthrow felt extreme.

Darcy looked up from the river and pushed away from the railing. Both Cedric and Percy had been watching her like hawks since boarding the Dorothea. She hadn't given them a chance to speak. Even if they had cornered her she wasn't sure she would have heard a word they said. As if sensing her reluctance to talk, they hadn't pushed her past a passing nod. It would be up to her to go to one of them for clarity.

She chose Cedric.

"Why are we going to Mooncross?" she asked without preamble. With this lot, she found dancing around things was an invitation for them to embellish their words, often with an edge of magic. Krea was especially adept at twisting her words.

Cedric shrugged his shoulders, elbows supporting him on the railing as he leaned back against it. His eyes tracked the captain but he answered Darcy directly. "I suppose Percival has let the cat out of the bag. Why do you think we are going there?"

They quieted long enough for the captain to pass by before she answered. "To help the kingdom?" Darcy guessed. Looking at the man leaning so casually she couldn't imagine that he had malice in his heart. He'd helped her out after all and they definitely didn't need her for their big plans. It stood to reason that Percy had given her half truths and a full explanation would clear up the misunderstandings.

"Essentially, yes." Cedric beamed at her, his eyes lingering on the feather in her hair. "I just want to make the world a better place and Norodon is the first step."

"First step?" Darcy repeated.

The boat rocked sharply to the left and they all grabbed onto whatever was available to keep themselves on the slippery deck. A second ship was alongside them now. It had joined them from the shore with little fanfare and easily kept pace. Dark green sails caught the wind to propel them forward.

Captain Danny was at the helm trying to put some space between the two boats. He was shouting instructions at them, practically screaming for them to do the job he'd been coerced into hiring them for.

Any of Darcy's remaining questions were swept away in the oncoming chaos. Large spikes the size of a horse head burrowed into the deck trailing thick ropes behind. As the two boats separated the ropes tightened until they were easy for the pirates to walk across. From one second to the next, four of them were brandishing weapons much too close for comfort.

Of course Percy found his way to Darcy's side but his unsteady feet nearly sent him over the railing into the churning waters. His shortsword clattered uselessly against the wooden planks before he grabbed the hilt again. "Stay close," he shouted to Darcy over the shouting.