Chapter Nine - An Easy Target

Xather was nothing like what Darcy had expected. The others had spent the entire trip up to the gates telling her horrible stories of cutthroats and vile swindlers. None of that matched up with the bright banners hanging from every window they passed or the children running up and down the streets with sweets clutched in their hands.

"There must be a festival going on," Cedric said, snagging a flower from a garland to hand to Krea. "That's quite a stroke of luck. People are always so generous when they're celebrating." He led them through the crowds deeper and deeper into the city.

The further they went, the more the cheering began to resemble angry shouts and taunts. Ahead of them was the city center. A raised platform made of stone took up the right side of the square, a row of stocks atop it. Two of the four were occupied by grubby looking men. Their frail frames were slumped against the wooden frames. It was a miracle their clothes were still on considering how baggy they were.

Darcy's breath caught in her throat though she hid it with a cough. The smell coming from the men was enough of an excuse to turn away. She waved off Percy's concerned looks. "I wasn't executing people to make a spectacle out of a punishment," she explained. "Can we go?" She kept her eyes averted from the Saint Jeremy medal hanging from one of the prisoner's dirt-caked necks.

"Of course," Percy answered. He tugged Cedric's arm and nodded back at Darcy. No words passed between them but in seconds they were all moving as a group back through the crowds to the inn they had passed.

The innkeeper was glad for the business, sullen as he was. It was there they learned the celebration was not a festival at all, but a death sentencing. He spat at the ground, cursing up a storm. "Damned Famris. They kidnap our people and then have the gall to parade themselves around the city as if they've done nothing wrong. Animals. They should all be put to death."

"Looks like you caught a few," Reyner mentioned. He jerked a thumb back over his shoulder in the direction of the town square.

"I only wish it had been me. Anyone who brings one of those foul bastards to justice receives an audience with the mayor and a hefty reward. We've learned they have a network of spies and escape routes so catching them all is impossible. At this rate the coffers will be empty before I see justice for my sweet Ruzenna," he told them. The anger faded for just a moment to let the sadness take over. "My sweet girl has been missing for over a week now. My wife worries herself sick every night."

Cedric's fingers drifted over the pan flutes hanging from his hip. His eyes were focused on the lacquered counter while the others discussed room and board. Suddenly, his attention shifted to Darcy who's pupils were pinpricks of black surrounded by moss green. "We should rest, it's been a long journey." He grabbed Darcy by the arm and hauled her towards the stairs that would lead to the room.

At the pace he was dragging her, Darcy was lucky to stay on her feet the entire way to the room. The momentum kept her going even after he let go and she would have hit the floor if Percy hadn't grabbed hold of her. "Have you lost your mind?" Darcy sputtered.

"Not at all. I've never thought so clearly as now and it's all thanks to you that greatness is in reach," he said quickly. Cedric paced the room muttering excitedly. The rest of them caught only fragments of what he said until he grabbed Darcy by the shoulders. "You are going to be kidnapped by the Famris and we are going to rescue you and expose their hideout."

It took until midday to comprehend Cedric's wild plan. The entire thing seemed to be an elaborate plan to obtain an audience with the mayor that the innkeeper had mentioned. From there, they would be hailed as heroes for taking down the Famris in the city and be showered in riches beyond their wildest dreams. The crux of the plan rested on Darcy's shoulders.