➤ fresh start

𝐁𝐎𝐌𝐁𝐒 𝐄𝐗𝐏𝐋𝐎𝐃𝐄𝐃 almost simultaneously as Michael, Steve, and Bucky tried to find a way out of the HYDRA base. They ran up a dangerously close staircase to the explosions below them.

"Captain America!" A voice called out from the heat of everything. Michael quickly recognized him as Johann Schmidt, and Arnim Zola was just behind him. "How exciting! I am a great fan of your films! So, Dr. Erskine managed it after all. Not exactly an improvement, but still impressive."

Steve copied Schmidt and walked forward. When Schmidt was close enough, Steve threw a hard punch to his face. Michael winced from the back.

"You've got no idea," Steve said.

Schmidt raised his head, holding the side of his face. It was creepy, the way it started looking deformed. "Haven't I?"

He attempted to punch Cap, but the latter blocked it with his shield. However, it did leave a mark, startling him.

He quickly went for his gun, but Schmidt punched him, knocking him down to the ground. Schmidt eerily approached him, but Steve counterattacked with a kick.

Seeing Schmidt down on the ground and Steve ready to attack more, Zola quickly pulled a lever that separated the walkway.

"No matter what lies Erskine told you, you see, I was his greatest success!" Schmidt reached for his face and began peeling it off.

Michael stared in fear. He could remember the red face that appeared to him the first day he was brought here. He held Bucky's hand firmly, and Bucky squeezed just as hard.

"You don't have one of those, do you?" Bucky choked out.

"You are deluded, Captain," Schmidt said. "You pretend to be a simple soldier, but in reality, you are afraid to admit that we have left humanity behind. Unlike you, I embrace it proudly. Without fear!"

"Then how come you're running?" Steve shouted to Schmidt, who was retreating to the elevator. Schmidt only smiled and closed the elevator door.

A loud explosion went off, almost making the three fall off the railing. "Come on, let's go. Up." Steve ushered them out of the area and up more stairs.

They went to the top of the stairs, where Steve and Bucky helped Michael cross over a small beam over the railing. He'll admit that all the explosions from below did scare him, and he almost fell. Luckily, though, he made it, and Bucky did too.

The only problem was that as Bucky made it to the other side, the thing helping them cross broke apart, falling to its doom.

Bucky stared in disbelief. "There's gotta be a rope or something!" He did not want to see his friend go after finally seeing him.

"Just go! Get out of here!" Steve waved his hand to dismiss Bucky, but he wasn't having it. "No! Not without you!"

"Hell..." Steve mumbled, an idea soon forming in his head. Though it could have been better, if he could do it, it would be worth it.

Using his super strength, Steve bent the metal bars back. He skipped a few feet backward and took a deep breath.

"Is he...-" Michael's eyes widened, and he turned to Bucky. "Can he make that?" With a sigh, he answered shakily. "I don't know."

Steve said a quick prayer in his head and ran forward, taking a giant leap. Michael thought the flames would consume him. That, or he'd fail to cross.

But he was proven wrong when Steve emerged from the smoke and landed harshly on the other side. Michael released a breath he didn't know was inside him and helped the man stand up.

══════════════《 ⚡ 》══════════════

        𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐕𝐄 𝐋𝐄𝐃 the large group of survivors inside the American base camp. Michael stood beside him and Bucky, staring in awe at the place. It was his first time outside in a very long time.

Bucky, noticing how amazed Michael was, nudged his arm with a smile. "I told you I'd show you what's outside one day."

"You did," Michael scoffed and turned to him. "Can't believe I doubted you." Bucky gasped in offense and playfully smacked his arm. "I can't believe you."

Michael laughed, "No, but really. Thank you, Buck." Bucky clicked his tongue and shook his head. "Nah, I really didn't do anything. It was mainly Steve."

"You helped enough, Bucky." Michael wrapped his arm around the other, and the male followed suit. "Thank you for giving me this fresh start."

NEXT CHAPTER: THE START OF SOMETHING

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

are things moving too fast 🤔🤔