Differences Aside

Maya

This surprised me when he picked up his shot gun and fought beside me. I thought he would've taken the opportunity to get away from me. I was amused, but I quickly came back to reality as I dashed forward towards a female vampire. They were weaker than our kind, but they were fast. She managed to push me against the wall, fragments of it coming down like hail. She tried to claw at me with her nails and I noticed green smoke coming from them. I quickly dodged her but she was able to successfully pierce my left side. The burning sensation ran through my body and I kept fighting. Somehow, I managed to snap her neck. I held the wound and my felt my legs become weaker. This man will be all alone if I give in to whatever she injected into me. Wincing in pain, I stumbled towards the chaos. Two vampires came at me and I was able to fight one of them until the other grabbed me from behind. I was weakened so that they will have an advantage. 

"Maya!" The human man shouted. Suddenly shots started going off and I watched as the two vampires turned into dust. After the last shot, he rushed to my side. I was unsure where the rest of the vampires went, but there was nothing but silence among us. 

Ignoring the searing pain that raced through my veins, I gritted my teeth and tried to steady myself, but my strength was waning, my limbs heavy and sluggish.

"You have to leave! I'll be okay!" I gasped, my voice strained with agony as I struggled to remain upright. "They may come back."

But he just shook his head, his eyes blazing with determination as he knelt beside me, tying a wet cloth around me. "Don't tell me that you're worried about me. This may burn a little more."

I cried in pain as the burning intensified. I had no choice but to trust that he wasn't trying to finish me off. "Not the time to be smart ass." 

"Just consider this as an I owe you."  

I grunted. "You damn humans." 

He snickered. "My name is Trey." 

I let out a shuddering breath as I began to feel a cool sensation. Suddenly, I was being lifted and carried on his shoulder. I noticed a little cut on his neck where blood was seeping and my breathing changed. The smell was so enticing, so addicting. I counted several times as I fought off the urge to just taste it. 

"Where are you taking me?" I asked. His steps were steady and despite me being stronger than him, he carried me as if I weighed nothing. 

"Just rest until we get there," he ordered. I wanted to argue that I was fine, but I knew I'd be lying to myself. Whatever that acid-like poison was severely weakened me. Hell, I struggling to catch my breath and he was the one walking. My body began to go limp and my vision darkened as I began to blackout. 

When I woke up, I was covered in blankets. I stayed staring at the ceiling trying to gather my thoughts on why another vampire would try to kill me. Questions floated in my head. How did he know my name? Who was he and what was he after? They probably could've easily killed Trey, but he stood his ground and even helped me. The door opened and the shadow of a figure appeared before me. This time, Trey was wearing a white shirt and black pants. His locks were pulled back into a low ponytail which allowed me to fully see his face. Wow. Just wow. His melanated skin, just my like my own, glistened in the moonlight. His dark eyes-either brown or black- I wasn't sure, were full of mysteries. His military training paid off when it comes to his physique. He stood tall and confident, his presence commanding my full attention with every step he took towards me. Broad shoulders taper into a defined waist, a testament to his dedication to physical fitness. His arms rippled with well-defined muscles, each movement showcasing the strength beneath his skin. Veins trace intricate patterns across his forearms, hinting at the strength that lies dormant within. 

But it was not just his physique that sets him apart; it was the confidence with which he carried himself, even his stubbornness complemented him. The easy, sad smile that lit up his face, and the warmth in his eyes that drew me to him like moths to a flame. I could tell that was more than just a man with a muscular physique; he was a force of nature, a beacon of strength and vitality in a world that often feels uncertain and chaotic.

"How are you feeling?" 

"Lost. Where are we?" I tried to sit up and my entire body hurt. 

"Go slow, that poison caused your body to shutdown and now its trying to recover."

He helped me sit up and then crouched beside me, his eyes scanning the darkness for any sign of danger as he assessed my wound. Despite the dangers of our situation and temporary truce, I noticed how he kept looking at me. For the first time, I had mixed emotions. Despite the pain and vulnerability I felt, there was a flicker of warmth inside of me.  It was a rare moment of vulnerability, a reminder of my own humanity despite my vampiric nature.

However, intertwined with that warmth was a hint of frustration and weariness. Growing up, I was only noticed because of my youthful beauty. My dark skin and soft, curly afro was the highlight of my appearance. Even with being a black royal vampire, I was still being  discriminated against.  I was tired of being seen solely for my appearance and royal status, especially in moments of distress. I longed for someone to see beyond the surface, to understand the complexities of my existence and the struggles I faced as a vampire in a world filled with prejudice, expectations and unknown danger.

Yet, despite these conflicting emotions, I appreciated Trey's attention and care. It was a fleeting moment of solace in the midst of chaos, a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there could still be moments of connection and understanding between unlikely allies who were able to put their differences aside.