Part 3 - Courage

The day has come. After a few weeks of Zayne visiting me, I'm finally ready to let him lead me out of the forest. I meet Zayne at the gates like usual, but this time he stands a bit further out.

He's holding a bouquet of colorful flowers, holding out his arms. I ran to him and jumped into his embrace. He spins around while I giggle. Then he sets me on the ground with a kiss, leaving me breathless.

"You're always kissing me out of nowhere," I stated as Zayne held me close by the waist.

"You didn't complain the first time we kissed." Zayne winked and I blushed while hitting his shoulder. He laughed and held my hand. I smiled when I thought back to that day.

-------------------------------------------

    Zayne helped me gather cherries from the small cherry trees I grew

Zayne helped me gather cherries from the small cherry trees I grew. As I was holding the basket, he told me to close my eyes and taste the cherry he picked. He stated that closing them would help me taste the cherry better, so I believed him without any doubts.

However, I didn't see the mischievous smile on Zayne's face behind closed eyes. I felt a gentle tug on my chin, making my opened mouth close as a reflex, and instantly felt something warm and soft settle on my lips.

On that day, the sun burned brighter than I'd ever seen it, feeling the rays warm my skin. After picking cherries, Zayne and I headed to the creek where he splashed water at me and ran away.

My dress was soaked as I plopped down on the grass under the shade away from the burning sun. Zayne sat next to me, taking off his wet shirt. I looked away shyly as he smiled admiring the view.

"I know you can't leave this place, but this forest is beautiful...like its caretaker," Zayne said as I smiled and looked away from his gaze. "I'll show you other beautiful places in this world if you'll allow me. If the forest doesn't stop you, the first place I'll take you to is the local carnival. It's filled with rides, games, and greasy food. Would you like to see it?" he asked.

"I'd love to see it. Do many people like going to this carnival?" I wondered as I brushed back my damp bangs. Zayne nodded his head.

"Many families, children, and lovers enjoy it. It's filled with laughter, screams, and music. The air even seems lively when the crowd gets lost in the carnival's distractions." Zayne plays with the grass by his feet before glancing at me.

"Have you taken a girl to the carnival before?" Zayne shook his head and I tried hiding my satisfaction. One corner of Zayne's lips lifts.

"No. I never had a girl I wanted to take there. Most of the time I was there for... for work," he replied.

"You worked at the carnival?" I tilted my head at him.

"For a short time before I started my businesses," he said as I nodded.

"Well, then let's have fun together when that time comes." Zayne and I lay on the grass holding each other's hand waiting for the day when I'll have the courage to leave the forest.

---------------------------------------------

"Are you nervous?" Zayne asked as we followed the creek. I felt a rush of anxiety thinking about it.

"I'm a little nervous. I don't know what's going to happen." I sighed as Zayne held my hand.

"If you feel anything wrong, just let me know, and we'll turn back immediately." We stopped at the end of the creek and the bushes creating a wall between the land I've always known and the other side.

I nodded and tried to calm my racing heart. I held Zayne's hand tighter and together we stepped past the bushes. We walked without looking back in silence waiting to hear anything out of the ordinary, but silence answered back.

I looked behind us and saw the top of familiar trees, but I was no longer following the trail back to the cottage. I looked up at Zayne as he smiled down at me. I finally did it, and I'm happy he's here with me.

Laughter echoed through the evening sky as Zayne and I jumped off of his horse. "Let me take you home," Zayne said as he held my waist. I giggled as he nuzzled his face into my neck leaning me back a bit. "I really like this dress on you."

He left a kiss on my neck as he stood upright leaving me in a tingling mess. If he wasn't holding me, I would probably be on the ground collapsed from my weakened legs by what he said and the low tone of his voice.

My eyes swept from his tousled hair down to the opening of the top he unbuttoned during the day. I blush as he smiles watching me ogling him. I held out my hand and he slipped his into mine.

The sun is setting soon, and with a swish of my hands, lanterns hanging from the trees light up instantly, showing the way back to the cottage. Zayne looked up in shock. I smirked at his reaction.

"Surprised?" you asked him.

"Yes, but in a good way," he said.

"So what does a great businessman like yourself deal with?" I asked him as we walked slowly following the trail.

"Mostly just meetings about expanding the businesses and sometimes dealing with complications such as competitors or problems with manufacturing." I nodded.

"Sounds like you'd get busy, though. You said you have several businesses and based on the house you showed me, you must be doing pretty well. How do you have the time to keep meeting me?" Zayne was quiet for a while, pondering on what to say. I stopped walking. "Zayne? Be honest. You are focusing on your work, right? I'm not stopping you in any way, am I?"

Zayne turned to me. "Don't worry. I promise my businesses are doing well. All the time I spent with you is worth it. Besides, I have assistants and other workers helping me," he said in reassurance as I hesitated.

"Just, please, make sure you aren't pushing yourself. I'll be fine with not being with you as much as we did before." I squeezed his hand as he sighed.

"But I won't be," Zayne muttered. My heart skipped a beat. Suddenly, he pulled me into a hug. "I'll miss you like crazy. When I was in my meetings, you distracted me by showing up in my thoughts. I miss your laugh, the look on your face when you concentrate on something, and then all I want to do is have you near me and hold you." I smiled and held on to him tighter.

"Focus on what you need to do, and I'll be here at the end of the day, waiting for you. We have the whole future ahead of us to spend time together," I said to Zayne as he let me go. I stood up on my toes and kissed his soft lips. He froze in shock. "Before you leave tonight. I want to show you something. Tonight will be the best view of it. Come on!" I pulled his hand snapping him out of his haze. He smiled and followed obediently.