41. Plausible Deniability is a Beautiful Thing

AN: Good news - I am NOT dead (surprisingly). Bad news - I am being peer-pressured by my dog to Go To Bed.

[but I'll post this first - my sleep schedule is a little wonky right now anyway what's one more night of staying up til 1am]

Knowing that the others would soon return, Hiccup and Toothless decided a short flight was due. Afterall, Hiccup needed some time to absorb Alvin's words. Or that was the excuse he gave.

Formerly 'The Treacherous', new title pending, the Outcast Chief busied himself with clearing the remnants of previous campfires. Retrieving firewood for a new one was little trouble, there were numerous trees mutilated almost beyond recognition in the nearer parts of the woods, and they made excellent kindling.

He heaved a sigh as he deposited his last armful in a pile a short distance from where he planned to have one of the others carve a firepit with their dragon. It would do well to be prepared for the stronger winds that would soon arrive in Berk. He remembered the harsh winters of Berk well and knew it would be foolish to continue to camp too much longer, he was sure Hiccup hadn't forgotten either.

Cloudjumper landed soon enough, a Queen and a Thief dismounting from his saddle, both hauling baskets of fish from where they had been secured. They greeted Alvin with subdued nods, and he didn't miss how Valka kept Mala within her gentle gaze. He expected he'd hear about that sooner rather than later. Ignoring the slight unease that came with asking the woman who'd been the Chiefess of the tribe he'd been banished from for help, he called Valka over to ask her dragon's assistance (experience told him that dragons didn't often do things for people they didn't know very well). Cloudjumper had a fire pit carved out in minutes.

"I cannot believe I had to get Heather out here to drag you back to camp." Aurora groused at Camicazi.

The trio were perched atop their dragons, and Cami was still pouting at her girlfriend. The Beserker-in-question had confiscated all of the Bog-Burglar's pointy objects and vowed to have Trez dissolve them in his drool if Cami didn't go back to the camp peacefully.

"Betrayed!" Cami proclaimed, throwing an arm over her face as if to faint and the other out in a wide, reaching gesture. "By the very woman I love!"

"You are literally the most dramatic person to ever live." The Changewing beneath her groaned. "Seriously, we're going back to camp, you aren't being imprisoned."

"Mutiny!" Camicazi shrieked.

"We're not on a boat." Heather corrected, in a tone that implied she dealt with this every day. "Even if we were, and I say this with all the love in my heart, you wouldn't be the Captain, Cami."

"What?!" Cami exclaimed. "I'm a great Captain!"

"You once sunk three ships at once on a mission." Trez commented.

"Exactly!"

"It was a scouting mission, and they were your tribe's ships." Trez deadpanned.

Cami chose the peaceful option - see Hiccup, I can be 'diplomatic', shove that next to your 'swords aren't good for diplomacy' lecture - and shut up rather quickly after that reminder. Simply grunting in response, she suddenly found the pattern of the leather saddle beneath her incredibly fascinating.

Heather laughed. "I love you even with your horrendous sailing skills, don't worry."

There was definitely no reaction from Cami, no flushing or sudden inability to take her eyes of her girlfriend whatsoever - shut up Aurora, I can HEAR you LAUGHING!