14. Hiccup Does Something Stupid [Big Surprise(!)]

His feet pounded against the ground, striking a steady rhythm despite his frenzied state of urgency. His heart rate matched the rate at which his feet hit the dirt and his breath came in short bursts. He had to get to the cove.

The Berkian warriors warily navigated between the trees, avoiding any obstacles that could make a sound. It cost them their speed, but it was better than alerting the outsiders to their position, especially considering they were uncertain as to where said outsiders were.

Aurora had only screamed once, but it was enough, both dragons were fully sure that they were being hunted by the local barbarians. Toothless was patrolling around the cove, attempting to collect all their supplies together the best he could with no hands. Astra was trying, desperately trying to bring Aurora back to reality, to no avail. Hiccup returned minutes after Aurora had screamed. He locked eyes with his dragon; a whole conversation passed in that moment, no words needing to be exchanged as Hiccup instantly began packing up and attaching their gear to the dragons. He secured his mask on his face and Aurora's on her face, before lifting her onto his dragon and mounting in front, strapping them both to the saddle. Toothless took off, and was followed swiftly by Astra, before she released a shriek of pain. Toothless turned to see his sister plummeting to the ground, captured immediately by the Berkians. He was enraged, but fought his natural instinct to attack in favour of a tactical retreat, he may be fast, but carrying two Not-Vikings seriously decreased his manoeuvrability, and he couldn't risk Hiccup and Aurora being captured. He roared to Astra, knowing she would understand.

"We will come back for you!"

"Don't worry about me!" She called back. "Just look after Aurora!" With that she was dragged away.

Toothless flew to the caves of Berk, landing in a large, dark cavern. Hiccup leapt off his dragon's back, cursing in dragonese with language so colourful you could paint with it.

"Language." Toothless tried to lighten the mood.

Hiccup released a painful bark of a laugh, turning to glare at his dragon. "You're one to talk."

Hiccup turned towards his sister, deciding enough was enough.

"Aurora you have to come back!" He shook her shoulders, "Or we are all so completely, royally screwed!" Still no response, he trudged over to the wall of the cave, and began softly banging his head against it.

Toothless looked worriedly at his rider, before turning to Aurora and trying one last thing.

"Astra needs you, she's in trouble."

**********

The darkness swallowed her again – familiar voices sounded, but they were slurred and muffled, like she was listening from underwater. She floated in the murky black for hours it seemed, before a voice rang through, clearer this time.

"Aurora...come back...we are...royally screwed!" A tremor danced down her spine. Another voice cut through the silence, deep and measured. Melodic, almost.

"Astra needs you," Astra? Images of a sleek, midnight black reptile with starry scales flooded her vision, "she's in trouble."

No.

Aurora trembled with newfound energy, she kicked her legs, swimming up through the shadows that held her prisoner. Her sister was in trouble, and not even the Gods could stop her now. Her sword bounced against her right thigh, how long has that been here? She drew it, striking at the tendrils of darkness that reached out and threatened to grab her again. She finally surfaced, gasping for air in a dark cave, she took in her surroundings, Toothless stared at her like she'd grown a second head, Hiccup was ramming his head into a sheet of rock.