19. Council Meetings Are Better With Hiccup

🚩 Please read the AN at the bottom so I can apologise! 🚩

The silence was deafening, and Hiccup had to try very hard not to laugh at their hilarious, somewhat startled, faces. Despite his best efforts, he still cracked a smile and was incredibly grateful he had worn his mask, or they would have known.

The silence quickly became less entertaining. "I do hope that I have been called here for more than just a staring contest with the Berkian Council?" He remarked rather boredly, just barely stopping himself from rolling his eyes. He did not want to be here, he wanted to be by his sister's bedside, watching so that he knew she was safe.

Mildew sputtered at his directness, Gothi smirked. Gobber held back his laughter, biting his lip, this was definitely Hiccup. Toothless nearly fell off his rafter with the effort it was taking him not to laugh. Hiccup sent a quick glare at him, which only made it harder for the dragon to balance.

Stoick cleared his throat. "We have called you here to question you."

"Question me? And about what would you be questioning me?" His voice was low, a warning. Dragons would have realised the mistake and taken a step back at this point, possibly turning tail and fleeing, Hiccup didn't like talking about his past. Unfortunately, Vikings were not nearly as perceptive, so did not take notice of the slight tightening of Hiccup's voice; or how his fists had clenched; or how he had shifted his position so that he could easily spring and attack. Toothless noticed, and silently cursed, before praying to the Gods that his rider wouldn't do anything too stupid.

Gothi rolled her eyes in irritation, foolish oafs. She whacked Gobber with her staff, eliciting a yell from the blacksmith, and scratched runes into the dirt at their feet.

"Gothi says we're on thin ice." He translated. "What does tha' mean?!"

"If I may offer some clarity?" Hiccup questioned, before continuing regardless. "I believe it means you should tread carefully, and I cannot help but agree."

"We're in charge here, boy!" Mildew the Unpleasant interjected, unpleasantly. "We have every right to ask anyone any questions if we think they're trouble!"

"You have every right to ask questions, that much is accurate," Hiccup agreed, "and any Viking is required by law to answer them truthfully—"

"We know our own laws, boy!" Mildew spat, before Stoick took charge.

"Where have you been these past five years? Why did you let Berk believe you were dead?"

"I wasn't finished speaking, actually," Hiccup announced, "I was going to inform you that I do not need to answer any of your questions, and save you all some time." He almost said and protect your gigantic egos, but got the sense that it would not have been well-received.

"What are you talking about, lad?" Gobber asked.

"I'm not a Viking, that law only applies to Vikings."

Stoick would have been impressed if he were less infuriated that his son was backsassing the Council of Elders. The hall filled with angry yelling and some villagers surged towards the boy, before Hiccup appeared to facepalm and possibly roll his eyes, then the dragon rider unleashed a dragon call that was answered within seconds, and a shadow dropped from the ceiling. Said shadow landed heavily, kicking up a storm of dust upon contact with the floor, baring its teeth and spreading its wings threateningly at the oncoming Vikings – who either fainted on the spot or sprinted away screaming. When the threats seemed to have dispersed, the Night Fury lowered its wings slightly and curled its tail around the boy, both glaring at the assembled Vikings.