23. Stoick's Realisation

Stoick watched from afar. He watched the two dragon riders and their companions as they left. His eyes followed them through the village – even as they picked up their pace into the forest. Only once the moss-laden boughs and bark overtook his vision could he tear his eyes away.

He recalled moments that were so similar, and yet so different. Moments where he would stand in the same spot, look out the same window. Lost seconds, minutes, hours – where he had watched a boy follow the same path. Wasted seconds, minutes, hours – where he had wished beyond all to see the young man grow, following the same path he had watched him walk throughout his childhood. He had wanted to see his son again – but the man who was walking that old, familiar path, with a girl next to him and a dragon either side of them – he wasn't his son anymore. And it was all the Chief's fault.

He realised, he was not the father Hiccup had deserved, he was the Chief, nothing fond or familiar about him. Stoick was an authority figure to the boy, not the tender; caring father he should have, could have, been. He lost his child, the last reminder of his dear wife, to his negligence – not a dragon. It was his fault, he couldn't, wouldn't deny that truth.

But maybe the things we lose can be found again.

When Ruffnut had found Astrid in that forest all those years ago, training as though it was all that mattered anymore, she had quickly realised why it had seemed that way – because it had been all that mattered to her in that moment. That's why she had knocked her brother out, she couldn't let anyone see her friend so broken, not when that friend would never have let anyone see her that way. It simply proved that she had made the right choice when the girl had collapsed into her, her walls finally crumbling. The girl hadn't been the same since.

To Ruffnut, she was more open, and often they would go for walks in the forest alone to talk about this or that, they were closer than before – and for that she was glad. But to others, to others Astrid was more detached, she was careful with her words, unsure, even.

When Ruffnut had seen Astrid come out of the forest after stalking Hiccup, she smiled. She smiled at the spark of joy in Astrid's eyes despite the rage on her face. She almost laughed when Astrid slugged Snotlout's shoulder when he said something stupid so hard he fell over. Naturally, she played it off as love of chaos through following Loki – and shoved her brother over to sell it (perhaps that part was just for fun) convincingly – but in truth she was overjoyed to see even a small part of the old Astrid again. 

Hiccup and his companions left the forest about two hours later. Astrid and the other young warriors were waiting for them.

Once they were sighted by the dragons and their riders, all four tensed. The dragons – and indeed, the girl – emitted low growling sounds, before Hiccup muttered something in a similar fashion and they quieted minutely. They regarded the Berkians with wary, suspicious eyes – the girl's hand wrapped securely around the pommel of a sword at her waist, they hadn't noticed that before, her cloak covered her too well.

The young warriors were closer to Hiccup than they had been since he returned, and took the opportunity to really look at their old...friend? They couldn't see much of the girl with him, so ignored her for the time being.

He had gotten taller, more muscular too it seemed. He was attired in a black-stained leather suit with unusual armoured plates, that appeared to have an odd texture from a distance. Upon closer inspection, the odd texture was composed of row upon row of midnight scales that blended into the coloured hide. His prosthetic leg was very complex-looking, it was Hiccup's creation after all. Wait, prosthetic?

"Wow, cool leg!" Tuffnut announced, before his sister punched him in the nose.

"Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third what in the name of Odin happened to your leg?!" Astrid shrieked.

Hiccup chuckled uncomfortably, he was in for it now. His sisters tried to contain their laughter.

"That's kinda a long story..."

"We have time." Astrid grunted with gritted teeth.

Aurora and Astra were full out chortling now, despite his glares. Toothless glared at Astrid, muttering something about how she had finally noticed and sure took her sweet time.

"Why is she laughing?" Asked Snotlout, indicating Aurora.

"Because she thinks it's hilarious that someone is asking about the story behind my leg."

"And – ha – that they don't – hehe – already know, you dumbass!" Aurora called between snorts of laughter.

"Oh my Gods – just  shut up!" He retorted, she laughed harder, he flushed.

"What did she say?" Astrid asked, wondering why Hiccup had turned the shade of a tomato.

"Ugh, she also said it's funny that you don't already know why."

"I also called you a dumbass."

"Oh my Gods I know but they don't have to!" He realised too late he'd said this in Norse, and sighed at Astrid's raised eyebrows before translating. "She also called me a dumbass, not that that's important."

"It's important to me!" He rolled his eyes at that.

"Why would we know why you lost a leg?" Fishlegs, inquisitive as ever, questioned.

"Wait they really don't know?" Astra whispered to her brother.

"Nope, we didn't think we'd be exactly welcome here so we never interacted with them." Came his reply.

"Damn, you guys really did give everything and everyone you knew up." She muttered.

"Because I did it while stopping your dragon raids."

"What?!" Ruffnut screeched.

"Can we please talk about this some other time? It's been a really long couple of days. I mean, she just woke up and—" he gestured to Aurora, who cut him off.

"I did not just wake up! I woke up hours ago! Longer if you count when I was half-conscious!"

"No one is counting when you were half-conscious."

"And why not?"

"Maybe because you weren't aware of anything going on around you and were screaming?!" He had descended into dragonese at the end, knowing she wouldn't want the others to know that was definitely her, not yet.

"Why does she keep doing that when she speaks?" Astrid asked.

"What do you mean?" Hiccup replied.

"She talks the way you were earlier! The- the dragon words!"

"Dragonese?" At Astrid's nod, he continued, "That- that isn't my story to tell, all I can say is that she doesn't speak Norse much because she doesn't like to."

"That's not a reason."

"True, it's part of one. I won't say anymore. I'll tell you guys everything in the cove at noon tomorrow, I can't do it right now. Goodnight."

With that, they left. They headed into the Chieftain's hut and didn't emerge until morning.

AN: Thank any deity out there for my amazing beta reader/editor fuzzyellie because without her this would be a random jumble of stuff and would be horrendous, I assure you. Honestly she is a godsend I swear!
Also sorry for the short chapter, it would have been shorter if Weeaboo hadn't helped me get past some of my block, and if I hadn't had the thug life glasses- I STG they're magical.
It is like midnight why do I always post at stupid o'clock in the morning?! WTF is wrong with me?! Anywho...
Please vote and comment and I'll see you all next time!