31. Hiccup's Date

They arrived back in the cove about half an hour before the sun would set, everyone else was still there and Mala, Dagur and Sleuther had finally returned. The riders and dragons all greeted one another enthusiastically, only two accidental fires were caused and both were quickly dealt with. Fyredart took up residence on Aurora's shoulder after flitting between everyone and playing chase with Misty.

"You never answered me about camping, Hic!" Aurora called across the cove.

"Okay, fine. We can camp tonight but you are not allowed to tease me about meeting with Astrid!" He replied.

"You mean your date?" Astra smirked, wing-bumping Toothless when he snorted and began to dissolve into laughter.

"You guys can't say anything either!" Hiccup protested, desperately and uselessly.

"You have a date, Brother?" Dagur asked, "You didn't tell me! Do you want some tips? Do we need to talk about the birds and the bees? Do–"

"Oh my Gods please stop!" Hiccup shrieked, clapping his hands to his ears. "It's not a date! She's gonna be here soon so please leave!"

"If it isn't a date why do we have to leave?" Mala questioned, innocently.

"Because you will say something or do something that will humiliate me!" Hiccup cried. "It's not a date but I used to embarrass myself enough around her so I will not need your help."

"He makes an excellent point." Aurora reasoned. "Fine, I'll be hanging out in the forest if you need me." With that she skipped off into the trees.

"I'll also be there so she'll be fine." Astra added, following her rider.

"Oh Gods, can someone please" Hiccup started, before Cami cut him off.

"Don't worry Hic, she'll be fine!"

Strangely, Cami's words did not help. Maybe it was because of the off-hand way she said it, or the fact that he already heard an explosion and loud curses in dragonese, it really is anyone's guess.

"We'll make sure they don't blow anything – well, anything else – up, don't worry." Heather reassured, dragging a complaining Cami into the woods to follow the would-be arsonists, joined by their dragons.

"Well," Mala started, stifling a snort of laughter and grabbing a chuckling Dagur by the hand, "I hope your date goes well, Hiccup." The lovebirds mounted Sleuther and waved as they took off for their room on the flagship.

"It's not a date." Hiccup sighed, despite the other dragons' sniggers.

"Well, as fun as your evening sounds, watching Aurora and Astra blow something up will be much more entertaining so bye!" The Nightmare called, departing for the forest, followed by the Gronckle who shot an apologetic look behind her at the boy and two remaining dragons.

Astrid arrived not ten minutes later, just after Hiccup had explained the plan to the Nadder.

"Hiccup." She called by way of greeting.

"Hey Astrid, how are you?" Came his reply, stupid question you saw her a few hours ago and she was fine why would that change?!

"About the same as I was a few hours ago, a little confused about what I'm actually doing here."

"Oh, yeah." He commented somewhat uncomfortably, shifting his weight from foot to foot. "I guess I didn't really give much of an explanation."

"No." He seemed to recoil at that, so she added. "But I'm here, aren't I?"