20. Talking With Your Stalker

Heller was bored, so bored – in fact – that he had started counting floorboards. Aurora was still unconscious, and Sister-Astra had yet to break from her silent vigil at her bedside. Bedside is a general term, her head lay atop the human and her tail curled around the frame, one wing rested comfortably against her side as she watched her hatchling sleep; while the splinted and injured one lay on the bed like a blanket over the girl. Heller couldn't wait for Gothi to return, he missed her when she wasn't around and knew that she would insist that Astra eat something.

He was worried for the two of them, they needed each other, he could tell. He prayed to any Gods that would listen – let them be alright.

It sounds strange, that this little dragon would pray so hard for people that he just met, but that was his way – he went with his gut. He had a feeling about them, that they were destined for something amazing; how right he was.

Toothless was a dragon of many talents, ironically, subtlety was not one of them.

After he had caught enough fish – read 300 fishes – he waited for Hiccup to arrive and help him pack them into his saddlebags. Naturally he tasted them to make sure they were safe. When Hiccup finally showed up, he was accompanied by a young, blonde Viking that Toothless glared at – she glared in reply, but he could sense her fear. He was going to stalk forward a little, figuring it would be entertaining to see her run in terror, but Hiccup raised his eyebrows in his signature I-know-what-you're-thinking-and-don't-do-it-bud stare. Toothless huffed, but did not stop watching the warrior who Hiccup had stepped in front of.

"She's not gonna kill you, don't worry bud."

"She is the one who should be worried." Toothless pouted, upset that he wasn't allowed to scare the girl even a little bit.

"Don't make that face, maybe you can threaten someone later – we'll see. You already terrified the entire Berkian Council, I don't need them more on my back than they're already gonna be."

"Fine," Toothless relented, "only because you asked me, I'd kill them otherwise."

"Yes, yes. You're a big, bad Night Fury, the Offspring of Lightning and Death itself – Scourge of Vikings and Dragon Trappers." Hiccup rolled his eyes.

"You bet your ass I am!" Toothless stated proudly, puffing out his chest. Hiccup facepalmed, again.

"What the Hel just happened, Haddock?!" Astrid demanded. Hiccup cursed in dragonese, now he had to try and explain this to Astrid.

"Well, um..." Hiccup tried, avoiding her glare.

"I'm waiting."

"I told you it was a long story, right?" Hiccup asked helplessly, shooting glances of help-bud-she's-gonna-kill-me at Toothless, who simply glanced between the two with the most smug look on his face. The dragon did his best impression of wiggling his eyebrows and smirked.

"Answer me, Haddock. Or I will do something you'll regret."

"Oh Gods, I-I can u-um speak dragonese?" He didn't realise he had trailed off into clicks and trills at the end.

"What was that?!"

"I just told you!"

"You said 'I can um' and then started growling!" Astrid stated, brandishing her axe

"Oops." Hiccup winced. "What I meant to say was 'I can speak dragonese'."

"What the Hel is 'dragonese'?"

"Their language?" He answered carefully. "It's not like they roar and growl for the Hel of it, every sound has a meaning."

Gothi rolled her eyes for the umpteenth time, or what she thought was the umpteenth, she'd lost count. The Council was still arguing and it was only a matter of time before she would have to fake-curse someone to get them to shut up. She rubbed her temples with her fingers, choosing the 'curse' she was going to cast. She had just decided to cast the one that had given 'Hamish the Hairless' his name when Stoick's voice boomed across the hall.