chapter 1

JANUARY 1987

JANUARY 1987

Slamming her fingers onto the telephone buttons, she props the telephone up to her ear. Breath shaky and eyes puffy, the ringing of the phone puts her on edge. Clutching the phone with her cat-scratched hands, she begins to tear the skin off her lip. Why has he not reached out? I told him my address. He promised me. These angered thoughts overwhelmed Evie as she gave out her desperate attempt to contact her boyfriend. 

"Hello?"

"Ronald? This is Evie. Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine,"

"Is that it?" Evie lets out an exasperated sigh, her whole month of worry was for an unfazed reply.

"Evie, I'm sorry. This won't work. I think we're better off as friends. I don't see us working out."

"Huh?! What." She can't even process her sadness.

"I just think this isn't working but I think you're a wonderful person I just don't see us together,"

Her chest tightens like someone is clenching onto her heart, making it hard to breathe.

"W-why not? Please, Ronald I've tried so hard this month. It's been so tough, is it because I live faraway now?"

"The damage is done," His certainty trickling down the phone.

"No, please, I don't understand why don't you see us working out?"

"I don't know what you want from me Evie,"

The telephone slams back into its holder, its careless placement makes it slide out. Bouncing up and down, the cord attached to the telephone extends. Watching this in horror stands Evie. Her shadow looms over the buttons that only a few seconds ago she felt hopeful pushing her fingers onto these. Now, an overwhelming sense of utter dread has overcome her body. People were not lying about heartache. Like someone popped her fragile heart.

"Evie we need to be going now, or Mum will go nuts," 

Turning around, Evie's eyes begin to tear up as she lays her eyes upon her sister, Violet. 

Violet lifts her sunglasses onto her head, pushing her dark curls back, her hand still firmly placed on top of the steering wheel of her beaten up car. She flips the car mirror upwards, her grey eyes framed by her long dark eyelashes flicker to her younger sister. 

"What are you doing? Did something happen?" Violet's eyebrow raises as she begins comprehend why her sister stands there in the rain. Concerned about her sister, she turns the radio down and beckons her sister into her car. 

Violet's car was like a safe space for them both. It definitely wasn't spacious but it was enough for just the two of them. It held all of their CDs of their favourite bands, Sonic Youth, The Vaselines, Sex Pistols, Misfits- their most prized possessions. At the back of the car, it was softly lit with fairy lights that grew their way around the backseats. The backseats were occupied with boxes full of sheet music and guitar picks to condoms and cheap snacks from the gas station. The seats themselves were pretty clean except from the questionable mark that has been hidden behind the blankets. It was safe. 

Evie slid into the car, the light lingering of cigarette smoke brough comfort to her but it wasn't enough to stop her from bursting into tears. 

"What did that son of a bitch do? He's a piece of shit Evie I told you!" 

"He just broke up with me, he didn't even explain why," She lets out in a sob, her face hidden in her veil of dark red locks. An agonizing feeling of remorse and regret makes her thoughts go fuzzy. 

I wish I never got so sad. It was all my fault. I was unbearable. 

Hitting her like bullets, these hating thoughts were relentless.

"Oh that ugly fuck- I'm gonna hunt him down and torture him with my bare hands-"

"It was my fault, he doesn't deserve that-"

"Oh come on! He didn't even tell his parents about you. His name was literally fucking RONALD for fucks sake. Let's go get some food, I'll call Mum saying we'll be home later,"

Violet presses onto the pedal, leaving the telephone to disappear into the dark. 

Swerving into a run down gas station, Violet sighs. The lights above them flicker, coated in mould and cobwebs. A few puddles lay in the pathetic uneven ground, where cars have carelessly left their mark in. A bright, white light is radiating from the store which seems to attract the two sisters like moths. Stacks of newspapers and charcoal remain untouched in front of the station, the stench of petrol immediately grabs Evie's nose.  Jet-black, the sky stretches across with a sprinkle of stars swirling.

Ding!

The two girls enter the store. One with a bold step, her shoulders pushed back and posture is straight. The other with a shy tread, her back hunched and face hiding in her snotty, tangled hair. 

They both disperse instantaneously, Evie; drawn to the out of date section which usually contains some sort of sweet bakery find. Violet; attracted to the magazines. 

Evie begins to search, her soft hands grab every delicacy until she is satisfied. Assuming her sister is paying for it, well, after all her boyfriend did just dump her.  Peering over her shoulder, Violet murmurs, "Take whatever you want, I'm pretty sure Kurt is on anyway..."

It was near to impossible to keep up with the amount of people Violet knew. The only downside of being her sister was that Evie had the label of 'Violet's younger sister' and for some reason everyone in Aberdeen knowing who she was.

The basket makes a loud clunk as it hits the desk.  Hiding behind it, the chair in front of the cash register is abandoned.

Violet hits the bell once. Then twice. Then multiple times. She then pauses. The faint sound of someone strumming the guitar can be heard. You can hear the sigh come out of Violet's lips before she begins to yell this guy's name.

"KURT COBAIN-"

The staff door opens, the grey lace of smoke swirls out of it, almost like when the frontman of a band is yet to appear and the stage begins to fill with smoke.

A boy, maybe just the same height as Evie, staggers out. His tangled mop of hair engulfs his face, his distinct, sharp jawline sticks out. The bristles of his unshaven chin unevenly drag along his face, his careless appearance was incredibly encapsulating. It was his piercing blue eyes that naturally drew Evie to him.  They were enticing, so unique compared to any other shades of blue she's seen. 

Evie was not one to find men attractive within her first meeting of them. She was also not one to find herself being so curious about a boy. 

"Fuck, Violet, I heard you the first time," He exhales, a smug smile was being played on his lips. 

"Well, Kurt, maybe I'd get that stick out of your ass and do your job properly," Violet retorts, pushing cash towards him.

Evie stares at his hands as he picks up every item, not paying attention to their bickering. They were bony, and his thumbs weirdly stuck out. His nails were shredded and you could see dents in his fingers. 

"Evie? Do you want to drink? I think I have vodka, wait- let me check. Stay here, be careful of it, he might bite you," Violet looks over her shoulder, giving Kurt a menacing look. She digs into her handbag as she walks out the store. 

Just as shy as the other, they were both met with silence. Apart from the loud hum of the fridges running, not a word was mentioned. 

Until he opened his lips,

"Nice to meet you, Evie,"

Finally, someone who didn't call her Violet's sister for once. 

                                         -------------------------------------

[Thank you for reading my first chapter!! I'm really looking forward to writing some more and hopefully quickly too. Enjoy Evie and her older sister Violet!  ]