chapter 5

"You're leaving already?" Kurt says, almost whining. He was already planning on another 3 more hours of practice.

"Sorry, family emergency," Violet grits through her teeth, chucking her drumsticks into her bag. 

"Do you guys need a lift home?" Krist questions, twirling his keys around his fingers.

"No, no thanks," Evie dismisses him, "you guys were really great this evening, thank you for inviting me," She smiles, wishing she could say how much she has missed hanging out with people. Due to not only having to look after her own place but herself, her schoolwork and making sure she had enough money to live the next day, she didn't really have much time to hang out with others. 

"Anything for the famous Evie Graves," Krist says courteously, smirking at Kurt who leapt from his seat. His ears were noticeably red, obviously not happy with being teased by not only one, but two people he trusted.

"Famous-?"

"Come," Spitting out the first word that comes to mind, "Are you coming tomorrow Violet?" Kurt blurts, not being used to being put on the spot.

"Yeah I'll be here at about 2, after my shift," She mutters, searching for her phone in her bag.

Evie heads towards the door, the fading of conversation exits through her ears as her anxiety of her family enters through her stomach. A sick twisting feeling torments her stomach, if she goes home then she'll have to see her brother and mom. And they'll most likely be arguing as usual. So why all of a sudden is it bothering her now?

"Is everything okay?" A familiar voice asks, snapping her from her spiralling thoughts.

"Yeah-" She turns around to see Kurt, his usual relaxed demeanour turned into a concerned one, "I'm fine,"

"I have a present for you, well, something I need to get rid of anyway," He hides his face in his hair, his shyness creeping up on him. His hand presents her a Screaming Trees CD, luckily, it was an album she was yet to obtain. 

A pink blush started to dust on her cheeks, the more she tried to hide it, the more obvious it became. She hardly got gifts. This was a gift from someone she's only known for 2 days.  

His piercing eyes glancing up at her through the slit in his knotty hair, her sweet face blushing at his gift. Both mirroring each other's blushing  yet curious faces, she takes the gift and holds it close to her chest. Breaking the intense eye contact, Evie gives him a crooked smile.

"I don't have this one! Thank you- this is the nicest thing someone has done for me in a while," Evie admits, her voice soft.

"I was wondering-"

"Right, lets go sis!" Violet walks in, holding her keys. 

-------------------------------

Evie could only hear silence before she opened her caravan. Strange.

She pushes down the handle and finds her brother lounging on her sofa. 

"Evie! Violet!" His face immediately stretches as soon as he sees us, his smile grows and eyebrows raise.

"What the fuck are you doing back? What did I tell you? If you left us again you are not allowed here," Violet shouts, chucking her bag onto the side, approaching the unfazed guy. 

Joe puts his hands up, with a smug smile on his face. His dark curls fall over his pale face, his large nose pointing through them. His stained shirt clings onto his body, its thin yet it contains noticeable muscle. His arms are covered by a hoodie, which its zipper is falling off.