chapter 4

He looks up, searching for approval from Evie like a small child needing praise from his parents

He looks up, searching for approval from Evie like a small child needing praise from his parents. Instantly, she starts to clap, an impressed smile on her face. 

"That was incredible!" 

"No, it wasn't. Krist you need to be louder and Violet you play too fast at certain points," Kurt criticises, not letting Evie flatter him despite wanting her praise. Refraining from making eye contact with her, he pretends to tune his guitar, his blistered fingers fumbling around.

-----------------------------------------------------------

A couple hours later, Shelli pokes her head around the door.

"Sounds great guys! Like, really good. Something I'd listen to," She chirps, her eyes warm and sweet. She gives a small wave to Evie, the open door letting wafts of something sweet into the room. Shelli was similar to Violet, the same older sister vibe yet Shelli seemed to be less confronting. 

Kurt ties his hair back, seemingly like he's only just started to practice. 

"I don't know about you guys but I'm hungry as fuck," Krist groans, placing his bass against the wall. 

"Me too man," Violet mimics the same moaning tone as Krist and puts her drumsticks down.

Kurt awkwardly stands there, his face disapproving of his succumbing bandmates. 

Around the dinner table, two beasts are unleashed and demolish half of the prepared food. A selection of cheese sandwiches with sweet tomato and  fresh cucumber tucked into them, the bread is the sticky, pure white stuff with the tough crust.  Fries are golden and crispy at the edges, just the way Evie likes them, at the bottom of the bowl are just the extremely crispy fries. In another bowl is an ensemble of fruit; bananas with brown freckles; oranges that were perfectly round; apples decorated in yellows, greens and reds.

Evie observes everyone diving in, watching their first choices, their manners, the way they eat. Do they eat with their mouth open or closed? Do they enjoy vegetables? Are they even eating at all?

"Are you not eating Kurt?" Shelli questions, about to take a bite of her sandwich. 

"Nah, stomach ache," He shakes his head, wincing slightly. No one really takes notice though, as they're so often its almost normal.

"So, are we practicing again tomorrow? We have that band party thing going on soon," Krist asks, "We'll be so high that I'll grow a couple more inches,"

"We'll be practicing everyday until it happens," Kurt replies, "but unfortunately I've got to keep cleaning some teenager's shit down the walls," 

Shelli chuckles, "Have fun, it sounds like a treat," 

"Oh so that's why you stink like shit," Violet says, a small smirk starts to tug on her mouth. She had the privilege of insulting Kurt and getting away with it - most of the time.

Kurt gave her a look, scratching his head with his middle finger. 

"I mean someone has gotta do it, you're truly the backbone of society," Krist jokes, flicking the tomatoes out of his sandwich.

Evie's phone begins to ring, reflecting light off her English Literature textbook and vibrating, she picks it up. On the screen it says 'Joe'. An electric shock of panic drains the colour from her face and she excuses herself from the table. Distancing herself from people yet again.

"Joe?" Evie picks up, chewing on her nails.

"Hey tinkle, where are you?" A deep voice says through the phone, its relaxed and casual. Too nonchalant for someone who has disappeared for 3 months.

"Where the fuck have you been? You haven't spoken to us since you left, you promised me you wouldn't disappear ever again," She whispers yet shouts at the same time.

"There wasn't enough room in that tin can,"

"You're just making fucking excuses again!"

"I'll see you at the caravan, I've got your favourite- ice cream!"

She hangs up. Her heart beating rapidly and knuckles clenching. Her once tense mind started to swell up with stressful thoughts, her forehead becoming increasingly tight. Sighing, she leans against the wall, her palms against her forehead. They were constantly playing games with her, leaving when they wanted and returning when they felt like it. Violet was the only one she could trust. The only one who wouldn't leave her for drugs. 

"Is everything okay?" Violet peers around the door. Her face softens, leaning next to Evie.

"Joe called, asking me where I am and now he's coming back," Evie grumbles, never getting a second of peace. 

"Joe?! Absolutely not, that man can go just like he did a month ago!"

"I think we should leave," Evie says, a hint of pain in her voice. Violet tilts her head in a reassuring manner, wrapping her arm around her younger sister. Having Violet was the only form of stability in Evie's life. 

"I know you don't want to, but if that's what you think is best then we can," Violet says calmly.

Evie nods slowly, hating what she is doing to herself right now.