chapter 6

She takes the cigarette gingerly, in disbelief of the information she has given to Kurt. It wasn't supposed to be let out. It's confidential and private; secret and concealed. She doesn't want her layers to be unveiled so quickly.

"My family is shit too, that's why I don't live with them, neither parent wants me," He reveals, pulling the cigarette from his lips.

It's almost like a trade. He let out something so personal to dive down to her level, to make her not feel alone and vulnerable. 

"Aren't we lucky? Not even born and already disadvantaged,"  She sighs, watching Kurt stand up, stretch his back then flick through his CDs.

"People are just having babies to neglect them now," Kurt  jokes, " 'The neglected baby boom',"

She chuckles, sinking into his bed. Layered blankets: one handmade with crocheted flower patterns with baby pastel colours, another a dusty, heavy blanket with red, green, yellow gingham pattern on it, lastly, a fluffy blue tattered thing.

He slides in a Screaming Trees CD, and starts to bounce on his feet.

"Your music taste is almost as good as mine,"  He teases, leaning back.

"I think someone is jealous that mine is superior," 

"Yeah, yeah," His voice trails off, and his eyes begin to wander; almost fixated on Evie's lips.

She stands up, her belongings sliding off her lap.

"Do you know how to dance?" Evie inquires, she stands up with confidence. Her face brimming with a new founded passion.

"Hardly,"  He mumbles, raising an eyebrow at the bizarre girl.

"Me too- but dance with me," 

She throws her hands up in the air and starts to dance around Kurt, pulling unique moves that were certainly moving. Starting to laugh, he takes a swig of the bottle that was on his windowsill and copies Evie's moves. He watches her hips sway, her hair bounce, her hands shake. Taken by surprise, he has never seen the girl move so much in his life, he grabs a half empty bottle and drinks the rest of the sickly liquid. 

He couldn't be sober for such.

Her skirt sways and the material ruffles, his hair twirls and spikes. The frantic movement for one song was enough to create an ache for tomorrow.

They collapse on his bed, drunk on giggles and Kurt's cheap bottles of alcohol. He finishes his, then looks at Evie.

"Shall I get more?" 

-------------------------------------------------------

The glazing sun fell through the dust-covered windows, landing onto Evie's lacking face. She grunts a little as she wakes up, a panic striking through her as the memories flood right back to her. However not all of those memories were quite as clear as the others. An arm was holding her around her waist, a hand through her hair, keeping her close and safe. The same familiar scent of cigarettes was stained onto her, strands of blond hair is laid across her. 

Fuck.

What on earth did she do last night? Evie's endless questions entered her head. Did we fuck? Or is this just casual, nothing big, nothing usual, ordinary platonic cuddling? In bed?

She slips through his gripping fingers and collects her belongings that are littered across his room. She takes one last look at his peaceful face before she disappears.

---------------------------------

"Where were you? We were all worried sick!"

"Yeah you were worried about who's gonna pay the rent," Evie retorts, slamming the door, making the whole caravan shake. 

"Why do you act like I do nothing?" Kirsty snaps, shaking her head.

"Kirsty you just sit around, luring men into this caravan and snorting whatever you can find," Violet mutters.

Her mum never looked after any of them. They had to make do with what they had; the outside. It was a common occurrence when Evie was nine, a routine almost. Every night they'd be kicked out as a strange, new man would be invited into their house. She'd hear loud moans seep through the windows as the siblings hid under the bins, or if they were lucky the neighbours would take them in. 

"Don't call me Kirsty I am your mother! And no I do not! I don't do that anymore. It was 5 years ago. 5! I'm trying my hardest for my children to trust me again," Kirsty whines, lying through her moulding teeth. 

"Oh god, when did we ever trust you?" Joe sarcastically comments, downing the rest of his drink, then a wry smile twists onto his lips.

"I've been clean for 16 months, I'm trying for you ungrateful bunch! Answer me, Evie, darling- where were you last night?" Her mother asks, trying ever so hard to seem like she cares.

"Why would you care? She's 19! She can do what she wants!" Joe yells.

"I can speak for myself, Joe, I'm not some idiot who can't stand up for herself!" Evie shouts, not wanting her mostly-absent brother speaking for her.

"I'm just glad you're here Evie. Why don't we all do family time? Theres  this group I go to- it's almost like group therapy and I want them to see how well I'm doing. I want my darlings to come along," She pouts.

The mindless bickering is stopped. The three siblings all look at each other.

"When is it?" Evie inquires, with genuine curiosity. 

"In 5 days,"

"I can't come that's when the band is performing," Violet says.

"I've got a job interview" Joe says.

For fucks sake, Evie thought.

"I'll go,"

"Perfect! I knew my sweetheart Evie would come!" She grins, her wire-like hair is put into a ponytail and tied with a red ribbon. It was pretty, young and feminine and twirled before she left the caravan.

The siblings were greeted with tranquillity and calmness.

"Evie, babe, you're gonna miss the party! Our performance!" Violet points out, each word become more distressed than the other.

"I know- I'm sorry but I don't want to let Mom down, I think she's trying," Evie says, optimistically. 

"Key word: 'trying'. We all know she isn't," Joe highlights, not letting any flaw of his mother's slip away.

"Well, do you have any physical proof? I'm trusting Mom," Evie states firmly.

-----------------------------

(Sorry, short chapter and rough draft- very busy with exams! I'd really like to know people's opinions so far and feel free to message!)