chapter 2

"How do you know Kurt?"

"Oh- at that cleaning job I did a while back. He can be a cunt when he wants to but to behonest, he's a kind guy," Violet says, her fingers scrambling through her bag for her box ofcigarettes.

 Evie opened her lips to ask more, but she knew her sister could figure her out in a second.Not that she liked him or anything. Just curious. She's only known him for 5 minutes.

The thought of Ronald came back in seconds, the Ronald who said he'd always be patientwith her. The Ronald who always listened to her rambling, who always made sure she wasn'tleft out, who always calmed down her panic attacks. The first person to ever say that theyloved her.Evie wasn't sure someone could ever love her like that again.A fathomless, internal pain started to eat away at her chest. An infinite feeling of her chestsinking, a black hole of resentment towards herself. It was unbearable, the harder shethought, the worse the pain. It was getting strenuous to breathe, a lump in her throat wasforming.

"Actually Kurt keeps going on about needing a drummer for his next performance," Violetstarts, interrupting Evie's insufferable thoughts, she lights up a cigarette. The smoke twirlingupwards, before fading all into one. She pushes down on the pedal. 

"Are you thinking about it?" Evie gives a quick glance at her sister's daydreaming face. 

Thered light of the traffic lights makes her face glow, enhancing her straight nose."Maybe," she focuses on driving, her eyes lost in thought. 

"What's the maybe about?"

"I'm worried I won't fit the criteria, I hardly know Kurt anyway."

"Woah, Violet Graves, since when are you insecure about your drumming ability? And fuckKurt."

 "True, maybe I will give it a go, only if it's for one night."

Violet has always loved drumming, even if it takes up so much of their space in the trailer. Asearly as Evie can remember, Violet was always into instruments. In fact, she was never seenwithout an instrument. Obviously, the sister's parents could never afford instruments so she'd rely on 'borrowing'.

 Wide open, the wooden gates to the trailer park have been overgrown as they've never beenseen closed. Dingily lit, the only light is the light that seeps through the other trailers'curtains. Dotted around are a few benches outside of the trailers, if there was enough space(there is something wrong here but I can't quite pinpoint what. The sentence is hardto understand). Others have brightly coloured children's toys spread out across their lawn.One has a red, plastic  slide next to a half-deflated swimming pool which has collected leaves and all sorts of deadinsects. The only thing that is guiding the car is the trail of tyre marks that have beenpermanently ridden into the floor. 

Parked outside their trailer, their mum , Kirsty, laughing at the TV, which blares onto herface, could be seen through the window.

 ------------------------------------------------------------- 

"I was so worried! Why didn't you call?"

"Okay, mum, like you called when you left." Violet snaps back, pushing some muffinstowards the woman, whose face was turning sour.

"Don't talk to your mother like that! I'm here now, I'm clean. Can't you just be happy?" Shegrunts, the frown on her face deepening.

Silence.

 Evie sits down on the sofa, kicking her Converse off.

"Oh, Evie, sweetie, look at your face! Were you crying?"

"It's nothing," she gives an empty look at her mother, it disgusts her to even give her thatname.

 Feeling her chest tightening, the weight on her head increasing, her heart beatingfaster than she can think and her palms beginning to sweat like crazy, she disappears to herbedroom.The sweet reassurance of her bed brings her body to collapse, her exhausted body sprawledacross the piles of pillows and blankets.