Chapter 22

"Ishani! What took you so long?" Meera hugged her friend, welcoming her friend into the exhibition. The couple along with Sidharth had arrived for some time now.

"Traffic!" Ishani shook her head, meeting all of them one by one.

"Hi Sidharth!" She smiled, walking towards him in the art exhibition the other day.

"Hey!" Sidharth smiled, extending his hand out when she hugged him shortly.

"I'm sorry I'm late. Aisa lagta hai, mere bahar nikalte hi traffic jam ho jata hai." She sheepishly smiled.

"That's just Mumbai." He shrugged, as they began to look around and tailed behind Meera and Vardhan.

He fished his phone out when it buzzed with a text, he had asked Shehnaaz how her father was doing today. To which, she had replied that his condition was the same. Jagjit's decreased blood pressure wasn't helping the treatment lately. Sidharth didn't know how to help her in this, everybody knew how difficult the situation was becoming day by day.

They met a few of Meera's friends who had organised the event. There were striking large-scale paintings that overlapped formal elements and diverse media to prompt a closer look. It presented new works that continued her exploration of the liminal space between landscape and body. Using overlapping elements and mediums, Khimji encourages viewers to look beyond categories.

Intricate compositions emerge as a result, as seen in Make of me a steeple, a house-shaped painting on birch plywood, made of oil and gesso on photo transfer

Intricate compositions emerge as a result, as seen in Make of me a steeple, a house-shaped painting on birch plywood, made of oil and gesso on photo transfer. An abstracted, monochromatic landscape is painted over with triangles and circles of varying densities, allowing a partial view of the underlying image.

"It's so beautiful." Ishani mumbled, walking around in awe of those paintings.

"These.. shapes! Kaise bolu mai. It's simply amazing." She added, turning to look at Sidharth.

"Yeah, the geometrics. Thematic monochrome, bohot sahi hai." He nodded, complementing the work.

Through her works, Khimji encourages viewers to think through shapes, geometries, and the body. Different temporalities appear to emerge from the combination of photographic medium's rapid capture and the slower mark-making of hand-painted surfaces.

"Are you planning to pick one? Mai office ke liye soch raha hu." Vardhan suggested his friend.

"Hm. We can pick one." Sidharth replied, he was glad to have made it to this exhibition today. It was a wonderful experience in itself, indeed it gave him some inspiration for his upcoming projects.

"Good choice." Ishani complimented, when they chose one of those.

"I know right, meri choice." Vardhan boasted, hinting towards the painting and then his wife. The rest of them chuckled in response to that.