Chapter 27

"Welcome Miss Gill. Thank you for joining us today. Let's jump right in. Can you start by telling us about your background and experience as a graphic designer?" The interviewer from Relianz asked over a Google meet.

"Good morning sir, I have a Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design and over five years of experience working in various design agencies. I specialize in branding, logo design, and digital illustration, with proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and other design software." Shehnaaz replied quite confidently.

"Impressive! Can you walk us through a recent project you've worked on and your role in it?" Another interviewer asked.

"Sure sir. Recently, I led a rebranding project for a tech startup. My role involved conducting market research, creating mood boards, and developing a cohesive visual identity. I ensured their vision was realized and it met their business objectives." She answered.

There were a few more questions asked before interviewers called it a meeting. They said, "Thank you for sharing your insights with us. We'll be in touch soon regarding the next steps in the hiring process."

"Thank you sir. Have a nice day." She smiled before shutting her laptop screen. It was a good and branded company, she hoped they placed her in Delhi's branch because she had worked in that city the most.

"Mama, thank you aap log itne din ruke." Shehnaaz replied and turned to talk to her uncle, the other day after she went to Beas to pick up her mother.

"Kaisa thank you? Mama hu na mai. Interview kaisa raha? Rab kare, tujhe badhiya si naukari lage." Rajesh replied, caressing her head.

"Acha raha. Thank you." She nodded.

"Phir se thank you?" He asked her and she couldn't help but chuckle at that.

"Didi, Sana 28 ki ho jayegi. Uski shaadi ka kya socha hai aapne? Padhi likhi hai, acha ladka mil jayega usko." Lata was talking to Madhu when Shehnaaz was passing by the corridor at her uncle's place, since there were other ladies inside Lata's bedroom.

"Lata, Sana abhi shaadi nahi karna chahti. Uska sara dhyan toh apne Papa pe tha, mai jab bhi kehti shaadi ke liye, baat tal deti thi. Ab mai uspe pressure nahi dalna chahti, Jagjit ko gaye do mahina nahi hua hai." Madhu replied.

"Ab, didi ab jo hona tha wo toh ho gaya. Rab ne bhaisahab ko utni hi umar di thi. Lekin Sana ko samjhaye aap. Abhi ladka dhundenge, tab ja ke 1-2 saal me achi jagah rishta hoga na? Turant thodi na shaadi karni hai." Lata suggested.

"Lekin abhi Sana ka mann nahi hai na, mai usko janti hu. Apne Papa ke jane ke baad ekdum se badal gayi hai, meri bacchi. Abhi mere pass uske alawa koi nahi hai, ghar ka, mera, sara kharcha- usne sari responsibility apne sar li hai. Mai uspe ek aur nahi daalne wali." Madhu shook her head.

"Lata, akele rahi hai wo itne saal. Padhai ke liye dur bhej dete the hum usko aur jab wo wapas aayi toh naukri ke liye phir bahar chali gayi. Ab usko dukh hai ke wo apne Papa ke sath zyada time nahi bita payi, isliye jitna ho sake mere sath rehna chahti hai. Mai uska dukh samajhti hu, usko shaadi ke abhi nahi bolungi." Madhu added, sharing her feelings with her sister in law.

Shehnaaz who heard everything was not taken aback, her mother knew her like the back of her hand and understood her feelings very well. She was simply glad and happy that Madhu was so comprehensive even when she was mourning her husband's death. It was that moment, she decided to give her mother the best she could and live up to the words of her father, where he said that he knew she'd take care of her mother after him.

However, when she grew up witnessing Jagjit facing severe societal disapproval and pressure from his family to abandon Madhu, it created a sense of uncertainty about relationships inside her head. This experience made her hesitant about pursuing her own relationships, fearing similar judgments. Also, seeing her parents navigate through societal barriers by ultimately isolating themselves from their relatives led her to believe that commitment comes with complications and sacrifices, it made her hesitant to commit fully.