CHAPTER 15: Memento Mori

In an effort to save Ken's life, the doctors are working quickly inside the operating room. During Ken's surgery, he experienced a septic shock, and I can see from the outside that the medical staff is doing everything they can to preserve his life.

I am unable to control my tears any longer as I begin to understand what is going on inside.

"No, please. Langga, please fight back. You can't leave me like this." I whispered to myself.

From here, I could see the monitor go flat line and the disappointed looks on the doctors' faces.

"No! This is not true! This is not happening!" I yelled in disbelief.
As everyone attempted to calm me and themselves, I sobbed and yelled outside the surgery room.

I am inconsolable. The doctor walked outside to officially inform us that Ken passed away. As tears continued to stream from my eyes, I sat down on the ground.

There are no dry eyes in the room. His friends and grandparents both gave each other hugs. Josh and Justin are consoling one another as Pablo and Stell sob in private in a nearby corner. Sage, my best friend, joined me to offer me consolation. In front of me, my parents and other family members were hugging one another.

They moved Ken's body to the morgue and they asked me to come with them to say my final goodbyes. Once inside, they left me alone for privacy but they didn't go that far. I lifted the white sheet that's covering Ken's face and I broke down immediately once I saw his lifeless body in front of me.

"Langga, why did you leave me?

What about me?

What about our wedding?

What about our promise?

What about our future?" His voice suddenly flashed back to me.

"I desire a similar future with you. I want to raise our children in a home full of love between both of us. I want to irritate our grandkids as well. But most of all, I want to make love to you even when we're old and frail."

I touched Ken's hand. It's now cold and lifeless.

I continue to stroke Ken's hand, saying, "Langga, I will miss your kisses and I will miss your warm embrace." I have no idea why I keep awaiting his response. He seemed to be sleeping right now. He is still handsome.

I leaned in for one sweet kiss.

"I love you, forever and always."

---To Be Continued---