Chapter 8 | White's Innocence

I woke up to the birds chirping and the sun shining on my face, blinding me. My head, still feeling heavy and uncomfortable, my nose feeling stuffy. Last night, Kaede helped me again. Taking me home just after that rain. My head felt like it got replaced by a new bandage, probably Kaede.

"Hibiki?"

I looked to the side of my bed just to see Kaede on a chair, just waking up. "You're finally up."

"Ah you're still here.. thanks, Kaede."

"No problem." He said with a smile while he scratches his eye. "Anyway, this afternoon before nighttime.. come watch me alright?"

I stood up and approached him, handing him a pick I borrowed from before. "You might need this later.. I'll go."

"Oh.. thanks haha." He stood up and wore his jacket, preparing to leave. "I should go now, I just accidentally fell asleep after taking you here, sorry." He patted my head then left the room. 

     Sitting down, a certain letter on my desk took my attention. A dirty, wet, white letter with the name Ami in front. Looking back yesterday, she did help me too.. but she was acting weird though. "Do you remember me now?" Her voice echoed in my mind again, sending chills down my spine. What an interesting girl.. 

-Kaede's POV-

     "Ah I think that's enough practice for today guys. Let's take a break, we still need to save energy for tonight's performance." The bassist of our band yelled out as we finished practicing our songs.

"Hey Kaede, this is actually fun. Thanks for inviting me." Akio Yamada, told me as he approaches me. "I can't believe I just joined and we're already performing!"

"I just joined this band and we're just newly formed. It's perfect that we found you as our drummer." I said while looking at Hibiki's text. 

"Hope everything goes well, it's our first ever performance." I didn't realize that he was already leaving. "I'll go out to smoke for a bit."

     The other member's of the band are hardworking as always, tuning their instruments and practicing stuff even in our break. I look back to my hands, my fingers callusing from the guitar. It's been a long time since I've gotten these. I left the band's room since it was getting louder, a cold breeze of wind brushed through my face as I look up into the sky, the sun going down from afar. Meow

     A white cat suddenly showed up beside me. "Meow." I silently responded to the cat.

"Oh Kaede." Akio 's voice suddenly called out and startled the cat, prompting it to leave. "Want a smoke too?"

"You startled the cat you know." I said annoyed. "No thank you.. I don't smoke."

"Hah I know you won't, you're a good kid after all." He said, dodging what I said about the cat. "So.. how's Hibiki?"

I looked back towards the sky, slowly turning orange as the sun goes down. "I don't know either."

He looked at me with a confused look. "What do you mean you don't know? Take good care of that kid, you're probably the only person he's close to."

"It's worrying me." I looked down at my hands. "I feel like since Haru's death, all his days have been really bad. Every time he talks to me though it's as if he shows emotions sometimes, but I can't help but think that he's just masking what he feels right now." 

...

"Hey guys come on, we gotta rush to the venue now!" a member of our band called out and broke the silence. Akio, threw his remaining cigarette away and stood up.

"Well then.. I guess make him feel something with your performance later." Akio said as he gestures at me to get ready.

"Right."

-Hibiki's POV-

     "The event's bout to start anytime now. See you there." Kaede texted me as the Taxi I'm in stopped at our destination. The neon lights lit up in front of the venue taking the attention of the other guests around. There are a lot of people tonight, rushing towards the entry, even bumping into me. 

"Ah sorry." A boy, as tall as me bumped into me. For some reason he seemed familiar, his short blond hair reminds me of someone from the past. 

     I entered the venue and the lit up stage took my attention. I sat down the seat at the bar as the announcer entered the stage. It seems like Kaede's band will be performing later on as two bands will go before them. "Ahh just water please." I looked to my side to see the boy from before sitting beside me. "Oh hi."

"Hi." I coldly replied. "You're the boy from before."

"Ah yes that's me sorry, I tried to rush in as fast as possible to try and find someone." He said while waving towards someone. "Hmm, you don't look like someone who's usually in places like these."

I looked down at my outfit, finally realizing that my white sweater doesn't suit the vibe of the place, I look like a ghost for sure. "I'm just here to watch a friend perform." I said as the first band started their first song.

"Same." The boy said with a seemingly fake smile. "Well, the person I'm waiting for might perform soon. I'll go towards the front." 

     I didn't get to know his name, and he's kinda right. I don't fit here at all, I don't go to events like these so I don't know what to wear. I don't even listen to music, I don't find them interesting.. "Ah everyone." The announcer interrupted my thoughts. "The second band for tonight has unfortunately had some problems come up, so they won't be able to perform. Therefore the third band will be performing now!" 

The third band, it's Kaede's band. The other people sitting drew closer to the stage, drawn by the looks of the members that's making their entry. "Who's that handsome guy at the front?" the crowd asked each other as Kaede's band gets ready. 

Kaede's looks different tonight, walking into the stage with a smile I've never seen before, he definitely looks more attractive with that new hairstyle and outfit that's why.. doesn't suit him much. The drummer started  counting.. one.. two.. three, and the music started. The crowd was silent, waiting for the moment Kaede sings.. 

-Kaede's POV-

Woah.

     The stage lights, it's blinding, hot. So many people are here, scary.. It's been a long time since I've been on stage. I fixed the mic's stand in front of me and held my guitar. Where's Hibiki? I searched the place, but can't find anyone that looks like him at all. However, someone familiar took my attention.

His blond hair stood out from the rest, his dead eyes looked back at me, and his smile.. that smile that started it all.

The music..

The music started.. already?

My hand won't move, and I can't seem to sing. Ugh what the heck..

"Kaede!" Hibiki's voice called out to me, bringing me back to reality. Seeing his face, finally, I started to sing. Hibiki waved at me with a smile, he's smiling. Hah, how comforting. But.. why does he have to be here too.