Chapter 9 | The Past Comes Back

"Kaede!" Hibiki's voice called out and I'm sure of it. Looking around, I'm finally able to see Hibiki's face.

He's smiling.. smiling? How comforting..

"Oh, ah." A sudden sound got out of my voice heard by the audience, but finally able to start singing. How annoying, it's impossible that he'd be back..

-Prep room-

     "Hey~" Someone called out followed by a smack on my back. "What happened out there?"

"Ow tsk.. it's just that I-"

"It's fine, no need to explain. Everyone gets stage fright once in a while. It's your first performance ever anyway." Akio said in a tired voice, cutting my explanation. "Heh, seems you have a visitor. I'll go."

     I looked towards the door, seeing a boy with familiar white, searching the room. "Hibiki?"

"Oh, Kaede." Hibiki said as he finally sees me rushing towards him.

"What do you thi-" My question got cut off as he suddenly hugged me.

"You were so good." He said happily with a smile.

"Oh~ what's this now?" I said teasingly while giving him a head pat.

"Your performance was really good.. it made me happy, I think." Hibiki said as we broke off the hug. Suddenly, the door opened again.

But this time, it's not Hibiki but someone else, that I've never thought of meeting again. "Kaede?" His voice, that voice, called out to me.

"Hikaru." The name I've never thought of saying again came out of my mouth.

-Hibiki's POV-

     He just stood there with a shocked expression. The audience waiting and the other band's member looking worried.

"Kaede!" I called out to him, waving with a smile. His gaze suddenly fixated onto me and he seemingly got his control back.

"Ah." Kaede muttered out as he finally started to sing. What happened just now?

     Besides that though.. his voice. It's really good, comforting too I guess. His gaze is locked towards me.. and then, he smiled too.

I've never seen Kaede like this. He's enjoying this moment. For some reason, it makes me 'happy' too, and I can't seem to take this smile off my face when looking at him like this.

The audience didn't utter a single sound. A minute later and Kaede's song finally comes to an end yet the people still didn't realize. After a few seconds, finally coming to their senses, cheered loudly showing their positive response.

He's like a new different person today.

     The band performed more songs after his performance, surely tiring them out. Their hard work was worth it though.

I opened the door of their prep room to meet Kaede again.

"Oh, Kaede."

-Kaede's POV-

     "It's the boy from before." Hibiki said in a monotone voice again as he waves towards him, followed by a wave back from Hikaru. "Do you know him, Kaede?"

"No. I don't. Stay here, we'll just talk for a bit." I left the room, passing Hikaru on the way.

I'm nervous, and scared at the same time. He's back, he's here again. I know he's following me right now, I'm sure he's here for me.

     It's nerve wrecking. His gaze pierces my body as we stand here in the entrance of the venue. "W-why are you back?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"Why are YOU here?" He responded in an annoying voice. "I thought after that, you actually left me for good."

"Kaede.. I haven't spoken of your name for such a long time. Come on now, the past is the pas-"

"Get to the point." I said angrily, cutting him off. "I told you before that I never want to see you again. Why are you back?"

"Oh, don't worry. It's not that I came back here specifically for you. Well, you see, remember when we were still together? Hibiki.. yes that's the name, I think I wanna get to know him." He said as he raises his hand for a taxi. "I was never able to talk to him before, he was always.. silent."

"Bullshit. I won't let it happen again." I responded angrily. I quickly calmed myself down and walked towards the entrance of the venue, planning to come back. I looked back towards him only to be given that smile from before, the past. "Don't come back."

     "Kaede? Oh-" His voice got cut off as I suddenly hugged him, Hibiki who was helping me pack my guitar. "Are you okay?"

"Just tired and exhausted." I said as the other band members cheered from the corner of the room. I sat up and looked towards the light, up in the middle of the room.

"What happened?" Hibiki asked as he finished up packing my guitar.

"Thanks Hiki."

"Hiki? Hah, I quite remember that." He said in a soft voice.

"You finally smiled again." I said with a smile, looking back at his face.

He looked confused, but then finally smiled. "All thanks to you."

     "Akio!" I called out as we were about to get out of the room. "We'll get going now."

"Ahh alright, alright. I'll just tell the other members, see you."

     It's cold, and the moon can be seen up in the sky. Taking one last step out of the venue, Hibiki stopped walking. "Kaede, I'll part ways here. I'm planning to visit a clothing shop or something." He said in a monotone voice.

"Oh, ah, alright." I responded.

     We're about to part ways when my hand suddenly got hold of his sweater.

"Oh, ah, Hibiki." He looked back at me, the moonlight shining on his face.

"Yes?"

...

"That blonde guy."

"Oh, him. Seems like a nice guy, I was able to talk to him for a bit before your performance."

"Huh? No, don't talk to him." I said in a worried voice.

"We weren't able to tell each other names thou- Huh? Why?" Hibiki asked, confused by what I said.

"Nothing. Just be careful I guess." I said, quickly leaving him right then and there.