𝐢.𝐱𝐢𝐯 - 𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐲 𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐫 (𝐩)

Percy's butt was starting to hurt. 

After two days on the Amtrak train—luckily without any attacks—he was becoming restless and tired of being tired as they headed west through hills, over rivers, and past amber waves of grain. He was ADHD, so it wasn't exactly his fault. His body felt sedimentary, not having been moved from his seat in forty-eight hours.

As they passed fields of wheat, Aurora mumbled nonsense about hating whole wheat and something about the Demeter cabin.

Percy was trying to keep a low profile because his name and picture was splattered over the front pages of several East Coast newspapers. Deep, deep down, a smile tugged at his heart, solely because Aurora's pretty (annoying) face was pictured right next to him. (It was hilarious how annoyed she was about being Percy's sidekick. That was the only reason for any joy coming from his being wanted by the police). Her hands looked like they were covered in blood, but in reality were dusted in monster shavings. It was weird how the Mist distorted things. Oleander and Riptide alike were a metallic blur in both their hands. It might've been a baseball bat or a lacrosse stick. 

Percy had a wild look in his eyes, while Aurora looked mostly angry. 

Life threateningly angry.

The picture's caption read: Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson wanted for questioning in the Long Island disappearance of his mother two weeks ago, is shown here with partner Aurora Miller fleeing from the bus where he accosted several elderly female passengers. Miller murdered one before the other two escaped to safety. The bus exploded on an east New Jersey roadside shortly after Jackson and Miller fled the scene. Based on eyewitness accounts, police believe the boy and girl may be traveling with two two teenage accomplices. Jackson's stepfather, Gabe Ugliano, has offered a cash reward for information leading to his capture.

Their reward money for returning Gladiola the poodle had only been enough to purchase tickets as far as Denver, but the three demigods couldn't sleep. Percy felt especially self-conscious knowing Aurora was sitting next to him. He didn't want to be caught having her leaning against him sleeping again. How embarrassing.

Grover, however, had no trouble dozing off. He kept snoring and bleating. Once, he shuffled around and his fake foot fell off. Annabeth and Aurora had to stick it back on before any of the other passengers noticed.

The three sat in silence until Annabeth's head drooped, indicating that the blonde too had fallen asleep.

"What were you dreaming about?" Aurora asked quietly after a beat of relishing the quiet. She glanced over at Percy with a mix of concern and annoyance. "Someone needed your help. I doubt they know how stupid you are if they actually want to be around you."

Percy didn't even crack a smile or banter back. In a normal circumstance, he would've, because Aurora's insults were far too easy. He wanted to retort, but instead, he played dumb. He could imagine Aurora's jokes about that. "What do you mean?"

"You were asleep just now. You said, 'I won't help you.'" Aurora cocked an eyebrow. "I know it's in your nature, but try not to be stupid right now and actually talk."

Percy looked away.

Aurora sighed, not letting go of the argument. "Shark Boy, you know nothing about anything right now. I'm not Annabeth, but I could help. I'm actually trying to help you."

Percy was reluctant to say anything. It was the second time he'd dreamt about the evil voice from the pit. But Aurora was sitting there, all expectant and pretty looking, waiting for him, so he finally gave in and told her. Plus, she was trying to help him, like she said. That was one step closer to them being friends