Chapter Four - Accepting the darkness

Ice stung through your chest as your heart thumped painfully.

Unable to tear that innocent, wide eyed gaze away from the threat that lie beneath now tight clothing.

The slight jostle of the vehicle pulled your attention away, a hand automatically grasping at the passenger door to steady yourself, bravely meeting his gaze despite the fear creeping into your bones, fire licking at your senses.

He was a violent man. Unstable.

You knew this.

And yet, you'd let him get close.

You'd let him get close.

Twitching, gloved fingers gripped the gearstick, itching to grasp, to tear.

König had never been a patient man, and seeing the pinprick terror in your eyes, darting between his own sharp gaze, then the road ahead - he released an anguished sigh.

He wasn't expecting fear. This was new.

You weren't climbing into his lap - or giving him that same gaze, the unquenchable hunger, starving, aching - didn't you feel the same?

You would.

Intoxicated by the sight, the scent, the shudder that accompanied that delicious half drawn breath you struggled to keep in - would it be a protest first? A question?

A low, direct exhale shifted the hood as he watched your jaw set.

Your lips part. F*ck.

"Better keep your eyes on the road then, Colonel."

Was that.. anger?

A flicker of amusement shifted beneath the cold expression that kept his features stiff behind the hood.

It never ceased to fascinate him the lengths you went to push his buttons.

Even unknowingly, each dulcet tone of your voice as you dismissed his desire sent an irritated buzz through his body, growl escaping before he could stop it.

"You're playing a dangerous game."

His hand tensed atop his thigh to accompany the rough mutter, gripping as a feeble attempt to restrain himself — ultimately tugging the steering wheel to one side with the other and pulling the vehicle off course, veering down a lay-by.

It had never been the intention to take you anywhere else, really. Deep down, he knew that.

Half concocted lies made in order to draw you in were his specialty, after all.

The panic rising in your features sent his heart spiralling back into that heavy rhythm as he watched your eyebrows thread together.

Wide eyes scanned your surroundings as the SUV rolled onto a dirt path, it turned towards the trees under your Commander's guide, leaving nothing but a torturous moment for the anxiety to settle into bunches of nerves in your stomach - teeth sinking into the inside of your bottom lip as you watched the forest's canopy completely shield the dirt track from the sun.

Light only came through in small shards and even they seemed to fade out the more the car crawled through the forest.

Your skin prickled where his eyes lingered, a sharp breath stinging your lungs as it rushed in, only to escape in a breathless encounter of his sudden grip at the back of your neck.

Large fingers entangled into your hair, keeping you still and tilting your head back to expose the creamy, sensitive flesh of your throat as your scalp began to ache.