Pushing the boundaries

A/N

Hello there. This is without a doubt the longest chapter I've written for this book. I actually considered splitting it in half and posting it as two separate entries, but it would make little sense because 1. the whole chapter is written in Scott's point of view (and I use Scott's and Mitch's perspectives alternately chapter by chapter), and 2. I really wanted to include all those events within one chapter for the sake of continuity. Anyway, I hope you manage to wade through it, even though it's like 4k words long. Let the drama begin;)

On a different note, I'd like to thank everyone who decided to go on this journey with me and still hasn't left! Many thanks for all the views, comments and votes!

"Who was that?"

Scott didn't hear the question directed at him, neither did he notice a puzzled look on his companion's face. He spun around and watched Mitch walk away until he turned a corner and disappeared from his view. Great. Just as he was starting to get through to the boy, he had to screw everything up. He couldn't even begin to imagine just how much explaining it would take to have Mitch agree to meet him again.

"Earth to Scott!" a familiar voice cut into his internal monologue. "Are you there?"

"Barely," Scott muttered absentmindedly. A silent chuckle pulled him out of his musings and he looked up to be met with a knowing smile and a pair of crinkled eyes.

"So it was him!"

It wasn't a question, Scott knew that much. There was no point in trying to deny it, especially as the other man could apparently see right through him. And it probably wasn't difficult to see through him at that point, anyway, not with I have hots for that boy written all over his face. He didn't deem it necessary to say anything to that, well aware of how his silence would be interpreted. He just sighed, shrugging in resignation as he gave the other man a forced, one-sided smile.

"I think you'll have some explaining to do," Alex pointed out, his grin widening, as if that was the funniest thing in the world.

Scott rolled his eyes. No shit, Sherlock.

***

"Hi. It's me. Scott. Well, you probably know that already, seeing that I've been calling you non-stop since yesterday. Care to call me back?"

"Hi, Mitch. How are you? Feeling good about ignoring me? Yes? Great! Have a nice life!"

"Wow, what even was that? Sorry. I didn't mean it. Just, please, call me back."

"Hi, it's Scott. Again. If I tell you I'm up for a quickie, will you at least let me talk to you?"

"How did you know I wasn't being serious about a quickie? Stop being stubborn and pick up, yes?"

"Hi! It's me, Scotty! You know what? I wanna see you real bad right now. Honestly. I might be a little tipsy, too, but that doesn't matter. No. I just... I wish you were here right now so I could... well. There's lotsa things I could do if you were here, if you know what I mean. Yeaaah. Miss you. Just wanted you to know."

"G'morning. Can you pretend yesterday's voice message didn't happen? I had some wine and got a little... sentimental. Just delete it, yeah? So... Since you didn't let me talk to you, I figured I'd need to talk to your voicemail instead. Are you mad at me? Is it because of the guy you saw me with? 'Cause if so, let me just tell you he is not what you might think he is. I mean, I know it looked like... But we aren't... And he... Oh my God, I can't do this like that. Do you even check your voicemail, like, at all?"