Chapter 1 - Me

- Vanessa, can you come to my office?- her boss requests.

So…that's me. I'm Vanessa. I'm Mexican. I'm 19 years old and I think I am someone close to superwoman, because I can balance working in a convenience store and studying at university.

Well, as you might think my dream job isn't dealing with drunk old men and their dirty pick up lines, that's why I study media studies at uni. I want to be a photographer/ videographer.

Since I was very little I was fascinated by cameras and how they operated. So, when I turned 16, I begged my parents to give me one.

Once I had a camera in my hands, I started taking photos and making videos of everything I saw.  My first video was my mom cooking me lunch.

- Gosh, I miss her so much and her dishes- I think to myself, on the way to my boss's office.

I came to Seoul a year ago. I know…I know… I should've been used to the distance by now. The truth is…I can't, and the idea of going abroad to study was mine. Of course, I was so excited about it that I didn't think about the distance stuff.

When I came here I had pretty high expectations that I would make a shit ton of friends. Well, my expectations were crushed. Right now, I have only one friend and he is from work, because at university…I walk alone.

Now, you are probably thinking that it is because of the language barrier, and you would be right…if i hadn't spent five years learning Korean.

Last year, I realized that the others looked at me differently. Later, I found out the motive behind all those weird stares…my skin colour.

I don't fit the Korean beauty standards, and I never will, because I wasn't born here. I'm not skinny like them, my body is different, I'm taller than most girls here, my eye shape is different from theirs and I'm not white. I feel like a monster.

This year, to make things even more delicious and spicy (ironically speaking), a group of girls started to bully me (porcas) because of my clothes.
Bitches, just because i don’t have siblings who made brand deals with Versace, Louis Vuitton, and Alexander McQueen, doesn't mean you are better than me - I mumble.

She finally arrived at the boss's office.
She knocks.

- Come in! - I hear.

As I enter, my boss signals for me to sit on the chair in front of him. He has a serious expression, which, not going to lie, scares me.
He stays silent.

- Vanessa, we have to talk - he says.

No, but why is he talking like we are in a relationship, and he is thinking about breaking up with me? I swear that I don't think of my boss in a romantic way (or maybe I do…NO I WOULD NEVER).

Anyways, he is stressing me out with those dramatic pauses, just say what you want to say man, or do you need help?
Oh wait! Maybe I messed up and that's why he is like this. Gosh, I don't know. I’m losing my mind…

- Yes, boss, I'm listening - I say hesitantly.

Silence

We have to talk about your Christmas vacation. How many days do you want to take off? - he asks.

She sighs, feeling relieved that she wasn't scolded.

- Sir, about that…probably three days…- I say.

- Aren't you going to see your family this year, Vanessa? - he asks.

- No, sir. They aren't at home, they are visiting my grandparents - I say, feeling sad.

- Are you going to spend Christmas alone? - he asks.

- Noooo, I will spend it with my friends - I lied.

I know what you are thinking: why would I lie about this? Simple, I don't want my boss to know that my social life is non-existent. Besides, if I said that I was going to spend Christmas alone, he would suggest that I spend it with his family. I don't want to bother him.

- Are you sure? I don't mind having another guest and I'm sure my family doesn't either - he insists.

See. Don't get me wrong, my boss and I have a good relationship. We are basically besties. I just want him to rest without worries.

I kindly refuse your offer, sir - I say.

- You know I enjoy your company, Vanessa - he says, smiling.

- I know, I'm very funny - I grin.

- A joy to be around, to precise - he says ironically.

- Now, seriously, three days? - he asks.

- Yes, Mr. Banhg - I assure him with a playful look.

She walks out of the office.

Like I said before, me and my boss have a special bond. You wouldn't see any boss inviting their workers to spend Christmas at their house. It's only a Bang Chan thing.

She sighs, thinking about the time when she and Chan met.