chapter seven

Squints finished his story about the beast, and the look on most of the boys' faces showed that they were scared and believed him.

There was no way that stupid thing was real. I mean, seriously? A man-eating dog sounds pretty made up to me.

"What? That's not true. You guys are just trying to scare me," Smalls said, saying exactly what I was thinking.

"Oh yeah? Go look for yourself," Ham replied.

Smalls peaked over the edge of the tree house, and a low growl came from the other side of the fence.

"Oh my gosh, it's real!" Smalls exclaimed.

"Told you so," a couple of the boys replied to Smalls.

After that, everyone went to their sleeping bags for the night.

Elle was on one side of me, and when I turned around, I was face to face with Benny.

Ugh, I wish it were anyone but Benny. I quickly turned back around to face Elle.

"What's wrong? You don't want to sleep next to me?" Benny said sarcastically.

"No, I really don't," I answered, rolling my eyes, not bothering to turn around.

"Just so you know, I move around a lot in my sleep." I could hear the stupid little smirk on Benny's face as he said that.

I didn't really know what to say to that, so I just pretended to be asleep.

Just as I was about to actually fall asleep, Ham started snoring loudly.

This was gonna be an interesting night.

..........

When I woke up the next morning, something didn't feel right.

I opened my eyes and saw Benny's face right next to mine and his arm around my waist. My eyes went wide, and he smirked at me with his eyes still closed.

"Oh my gosh! You were awake and you didn't move!" I whisper- shouted at him.

I quickly shoved his arm off of me and moved closer to Elle.

"Sorry, I told you I move around in my sleep," he replied innocently.

"I hate you," I said, turning back around to face Elle, who had an amused look on her face.

"Elle?! How long have you been up for!" I exclaimed, not whispering this time.

"Could you be quiet? Some of us are trying to sleep," Squints said, annoyed.

"Oh shut up," I responded.

"What are you talking about? I just woke up," Elle laughed.

"Yeah, right," I muttered.

"Well, now everyone's up thanks to you," Ham glared at me.

"You can thank your stupid friend, Benny," I shot back.

"Hey, what did I do?" He asked defensively.

"You know what you did!" I replied, raising my voice.

"Okay, okay, quit yelling, lovebirds. Let's eat breakfast," Squints interjected.

The boys and Elle started laughing at his "hilarious" comment.

"Just shut up," I said, climbing down the ladder after Benny and Elle.

Squints is so annoying. I want to punch his stupid face so ba-

I was cut off because halfway down the ladder, my foot got stuck, and I face planted in the dirt.

"Ow," I whined.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay?" Elle exclaimed, rushing over to help me up.

"Yeah, I'm great," I said sarcastically.

I got up and dusted myself off, glaring at the laughing boys.

"Guess you fell for me, huh?" Benny jokes.

"Haha, yeah, so funny, Benny. I wish I would have fallen on you and broken your arm," I replied.

"Alright, alright," he said, putting his hands up and walking inside the house for breakfast along with everyone else.

..........

After we left the Timmons' house, Elle and I decided to go shopping at the mall and then get brunch.

"What about this one?" Elle asked, holding up a cropped blue top.

"Yeah, that's cute," I replied.

"Ooh, what about this one for you? Pink is my favorite on you," She squealed. It was a tight-fit, simple pink mini dress.

"Oh my gosh, that's adorable!" I said excitedly.

"Go try it on!" She replied with just as much excitement.

I went into the dressing room and put it on. I had to admit it looked great on me.

I stepped out and showed Elle, and she agreed with me.

We went up to the register and paid for all of the things we got and then started walking back to my house.

"Hey girls, how are you?" My mom asked as we came through the front door.

"I'm good, Charlene," Elle replied.

"Good mom," I replied as well.

She smiled at us both and went back to her cooking.

Elle and I went up to my room and did a little fashion show with all of the new clothes we bought before she had to leave.

"See ya tomorrow, Hallie," Elle said before she left.

"Bye," I responded and laid back down on my bed to fall asleep for the night and the last day of school tomorrow.