chapter eleven

It was now the fourth of July, and the neighborhood was getting ready for the yearly barbecue out in the streets.

"Hallie, will you make the potato salad and brownies for me?" My mom asked as I walked into the kitchen.

"Yeah, sure, mom," I replied.

I got out all of the ingredients and started preparing the food.

When I finished making the brownie batter, I put it in a pan and then set the timer on the stove.

I started making the potato salad as Elle walked in through the front door.

"Hey Hallie, whatcha making?" She asked.

"Brownies and potato salad," I replied.

"Yum. Your brownies are always delicious!" She exclaimed.

As soon as the brownies were done and I had finished the salad, I heard a knock on the door.

"It's open!" I yelled from the kitchen.

"Hey, we're having our annual fourth of July night game if you wanted to come," Benny said, walking into my kitchen.

"Ew, if I would have known it was you, I wouldn't have let you in," I said.

"Shut up. Are you coming or not?" He asked again.

"Yeah, sure, hold on a sec," I replied, grabbing the salad and brownie tray.

"Mom, Elle, and I are going to the sandlot. I'll set the food out on our table," I told my mom as she was walking into the kitchen.

"Okay, sweetie, have fun!" She responded.

Elle, Benny, and I walked out the door, and as soon as I stepped outside, all of the sandlot boys were crowded around me.

"Ooh, are those brownies?" Squints asked, trying to take one.

"Yes, but they aren't for you," I replied, smacking his hand away.

While I was busy keeping Squints off of the brownies, Ham grabbed one from the tray.

"Ham!" I shouted.

He was already running away, and I didn't feel like chasing him.

So, I set the food on the table and followed everyone to the sandlot for the night game.

Like always, Benny was up to bat first and hit a home run. As he was running the bases, everyone else was looking at the beautiful fireworks lighting up the sky.

Benny didn't stop and just kept running. To him, it was obvious that baseball was more than just a game. It was life.

..........

The next day, Elle and I decided to skip the sandlot and go to the new ice cream parlor that was recently opened by Vincent's drugstore.

"Do you think the boys will be mad?" Elle asked as we started walking.

"Probably not. And if they are, then they can stuck it up," I replied.