The Note

When we get back home it's almost 10. I'm so tired, so I walk to my room and collapse on my bed. As I lay there thinking about life, I suddenly remember the note. I turn on the bedside table lamp and reach for the drawer. It said,

There's an alley way next to the hotel. Meet me there tomorrow at 5pm.
~Josh.

What? Why didn't he just invite me to a party or something? That boy is confusing. I contemplate whether I should go or not. I'm still undecided as I slowly drift to sleep.

"Psst. Baby, it's time to wake up." A quiet voice whispers in my ear, it was mum. "Eliza!"

"What?!" I say annoyed that I had been woken.

"C'mon, I made pancakes..."

"Okay, I'll be out in a minute."

Once mum's gone, I stretch and then try to lift myself off the mattress. I put on some track pants and walk out into the kitchen.

"Good morning sweetie! Did you sleep well?" There he goes again with the annoying, happy all the time thing.

"Yeah I slept really well on that mattress. It's so soft."

"Oh yeah, I totally agree!" I hear mum say from the kitchen.

I smile and walk over to the bench.

"Hey, how long are we staying here?"

"Uh, we hope for only a few more days." Mum says with a hopeful smile.

"So the lady who lives in the house we bought hasn't moved out yet?"

"Yeah pretty much."

"Is it a big house?"

"Yeah... Kinda, it's bigger than the one we had in Hobart though and it's two storey!"

"Awesome!" She serves up breakfast and dad joins us at the dinner table. Yes, we're the kind of family who always eat at the table. Always.

Once I finish my pancakes I rinse my plate and stride back to my room. I take out some dark red, high waisted skinny jeans and a plain, black, short sleeved shirt that's cropped at the bottom, but not short enough to see any mid-drift. I walk back out and head to the bathroom. I can't wait to have a shower...

I turn on the hot water and undress myself. When the water hits my skin I immediately relax. Again, the feeling of the hot water was sensational. I washed my hair and body and then got out. I wrapped a towel around myself whilst humming Amazing Grace. Most people have a song that they grew up to know really well, Amazing Grace was my song and I still love it to this day.

As I look in the mirror I see that my skin is really dry and, well, not soft. I quickly cleanse my face and put on some moisturiser.

"Amazing Grace... Hmmm hmmm... How sweet the sound... Hmm hmm."

"That's beautiful."

"WTF!!! Get out! I'm like half naked here..!" I couldn't clearly see the figure in the shadows.

"Just like your mother... So stubborn."

"Uncle Kenny?!"

"Hey there, lil' cran'bry." I run and hug him almost in tears.

"I've missed you... So much."

"I've missed you too baby."

Uncle Kenny lives on a berry farm just outside of Melbourne. He grows all kinds of berries. When I was six we went to visit him and apparently I went missing for an hour and everyone was looking for me. Even grandma and grandpa. They eventually found me asleep on a heap of cranberries. That's where I got the name Cranberry.