Chapter 20 - Shane

Hours later I was sitting at the kitchen table along with everyone else.

    Allison included.

    We all waited for the lawyer himself, Damien Montoya. One of the best of the best lawyers. Damien was an old friend of my Dad's. Went to high school together, did stupid shit, all that jazz.

    When he died, Damien was around from time to time. Paid for the funeral expenses, burial....everything. Even though I was capable. Damien said if my father had the cash handy, he was certain my father would do it for him too. I didn't argue back.

    Damien was a good man, and we stayed in touch ever since.

    The house was silent, Trooper was out running who knows where, and everyone was staring at one another. I made the choice to wake everyone up after calling Damien this morning. If my dirty laundry was getting sorted, so was everyone else's.

    Everyone was getting held accountable even if they didn't want to be.

    Just.

    Like.

    Me.

    Shit gets splattered one way, it will go the opposite direction as well.

    Yawning, Liam scratched his jaw, his eye now less purple and more of a buried banana looking color.

    "When's breakfast?" He called out.

    "Soon as the meetings are over." I replied.

    "And when does it start?"

    Just as I was about to answer him, there was a knock on the door, and a faint bark from Trooper was coming louder back to the house. Standing from the table. I made my way to the front, swinging open the door, grinning. Dressed to the nines per usual, Damien was in a suit, navy blue head to toe, black silk tie and black rolex to match. Clean shaven, hair was styled just right; not a hair was out of place.

    "Damien, thank you for coming on such short notice." I grasped his hand, shaking it firmly. "I promise I won't take up too much of your time."

    "Not to worry, man. It's been a while anyway. Besides, you know I will always come in any time of need when necessary." Damien smiled back, entering the house.

    Collapsing a hand on the back of his neck we hugged for a split moment, before making our way to the kitchen. Stopping dead in his tracks, Damien's eyes looked around the table, his form turning on his heels to me.

    "That type of meeting, hm?" His brow raised and took his place at the end of the table, undoing the button of his jacket before widening out his arms.

    "So, what's there to discuss?"

    My mouth opened, and everything and anything under the sun came out. And didn't stop till everyone's closet was cleaned out of bones and residue.

* * * * *

"So... that's all of it." I sighed, rubbing a hand over my face. "I'm pretty certain that all contracts were violated here, Montoya."

"Interesting way to require my inout, Marshall. My wife will be thrilled to hear about this." Damien grinned.

"Mmm, I'm sure she will get a kick out of it." I deadpanned.

"She will, all the while bearing our child. She's due in a couple months." Damien beamed.

"Congratulations, old man." My lips tured into a smirk.

Nodding slowly, Damien flicked through the contact on his laptop that James sent him about Allison. His eyes scanned every page, typing notes as he went. All the while listening to me, Damien had his own questions and they were answered from everyone at the table.