Chapter 24 - Allison

My heart was beating out of my chest and I swear the woman next to me could hear it. My hands were sweating so much I had to wipe them on my jeans at least three different times. The chatter went on all around me, before a voice I recognized peaked my hearing interest.

"Hun, I'm the star here. Will you just let me have a ride without you breathing worry down my neck?"

"Baby, I'm just looking out for you. They all know something or they're catching on. And if they find out I sent her those pictures-"

"Scarlett, please. Stop. Talking. You've done enough. My dad is taking care of it. So just drop it. I'm in the lead, we're winning by a landslide if Marshall doesn't show or choke."

Oh my God. They were both in on it.

I pretended to scan the crowd, my eyes darting over to the couple arguing more than once to confirm my suspicions. And as they always say your gut is right when things aren't right...

I was right in this case.

To my right about twenty feet, was Jack and his wife. Jack was sweating and coated with a light dust of dirt. I'm willing to guess we got here in the nick of time for Shane to get ready for his ride. Licking my lips I looked around to see if anyone was hearing what I was, and no one cared. All eyes were on the ring.

His wife instantly looked familiar from the clinic where we got Shane CAT scans. I tipped my hat lower on my head, and inched myself closer. I need to hear more. Especially if I was wearing a wire. I just hoped that it was able to pick up their conversation.

I moved closer.

"Jack, I'm worried it's not going to go as planned." Scarlett sighed, her hands intertwined with Jack as she stepped closer to him. "I don't want to see you get arrested."

"Oh, and now you think I can't get things done? Is that it? I know what I did to his brother was fucked up but it was taken care of. No proof or evidence was there. A little... A little shot to a bull never hurt anyone-"

"Jack! His brother is dead because of-"

"Excuse me, are these seats taken?" A man asked to my left, making me damn near jump out of my skin.

Clutching my chest I shook my head no giving a slight smile, and scooted my way to the end of the aisle, much closer to Jack and Scarlett. But as I looked to where they were standing, they were gone. Shit.

My body froze, as I tried to listen more, but the lights came down and the crowd went wild. It was time.

"Up next, we all know him, and we all love him to death, but I think he should hear that from y'all. Everyone on your feet. And please help me welcome back to the ring, Shane Marshall!" The announcer called.

Sure enough, everyone was on their feet, cheering and clapping. Whistles and hoots came from every direction. My eyes to the ring, and there he was. Standing by the gate, Shane waved a hand in the air, his eyes connected to mine. My heart fluttered in my chest, and my cheeks became hot.

Shane climbed his way into the gate, and he sat there for a moment. His eyes were closed, and deep breaths were taken just by the heavingh is chest was doing. Austin slapped a hand on his shodler and asked a question more than once before Shane replied to him.

Just then, Jack came from out of nowhere and words were exhacnged between him and Shane. Liam then cut in, and shoved Jack off to the side. I jumped to my feet. I had to get over there. Before it looked like Shane could come up with a reply, he was raising his right hand out of the gates he went.

The crowd screamed even louder, popcorn and beer being spilled everywhere. All of these people really cared about this sport, and I could see why. Shane was their symbol here. Without him and somehow Wrangler's father, this place wouldn't have anything to enjoy as one.