Chapter 3: Meeting the Dreemurrs

"So, kid?" Sans said, "We gotta bring you to Toriel so we can hopefully keep you."

I nodded, slipping on my Uggs like I did the day before. I grew fond of the two skeleton brothers overnight since they were quite friendly. It was very unexpected, especially since the other monsters gave a death glare to me within the first hour. Papyrus wasn't fond of me but I think he'll get over it eventually. I hope.

"So... uh... fair warning," Sans said, looking in my direction, "The king isn't very... fond of humans. Asgore has... how do I put this... hurt a lot of humans that entered the underground in need of their souls. ...why am I telling this to a toddler...?"

"What's a soul?" I asked, being clueless.

Sans looked in my direction seeming surprised that I didn't know.

"Your soul is the very center of your being. That means that if you lose your soul... you won't wake up. You need to protect your soul, for it is valuable to you and monster kind. If a monster is to absorb a soul, they'd get powers depending on the soul color. Monster souls are quite different than human souls."

"...uh-huh?" I said, still processing everything. I was only two years old after all.

"Look, kid," Sans sighed, "You need to defend yourself if you're ever in a harmful situation. If you're ever in danger, let me know and I'll be there. The most danger you'll be in at least for now is facing Asgore."

"Is Asgore mean?" I asked.

"To humans, yes." Sans said a bit sadly.

"Why?"

"Because of the war between humans and monsters. We can't leave because humans made some kind of barrier to the outside world. Our only way to see any of it is to stand where the hole is. Where you fell."

"Oh. I guess that humans did something bad? I don't know why the other monsters don't like me. I'm only two!"

"They don't know that you're harmless and peaceful. They're scared that you'll banish us somewhere else or do a complete genocide run and destroy us all."

"What's genocide?"

"You don't need to know until you're older. At least... if you make it to that point... but if Asgore tries anything, I'm stepping in."

"Stepping in? You can't even pick up a sock!" I heard Papyrus say while walking down the stairs, "If you do that, not only will you and the human die but I will lose my chances at joining the royal guard!"

"Die?" I asked, a tad bit scared.

"Alright, Papyrus," Sans sighed, "That's enough. You're scaring her."

"The human? You know that Asgore has no mercy! Especially for humans!"