Chapter 7 - Ultimatum

War POV:

"I am special?"

"Yeah, you are."

"I'm not special. I'm so ordinary."

"You are not War. You are definitely not."

I know this sounds insane.

But I didn't like that one bit.

Now that I think about it, the reason was probably lied with my low self esteem.

I thought to myself: he is just thinking this way, because he doesn't know me yet. Once he does, he will see I'm not special and he will be disappointed.

"Don't say things like that so lightly."

"I am not. I'm just calling it like I'm seeing it."

"Well, there is a problem with your sight."

He sighed.

"Okay. You are ordinary."

The claim that I was being special riled me up, and the last sentence was making me angry. On a subconsious level, I waited him to say that I was special until I believed it.

Million times maybe?

"You don't even know me Yin. Why are you saying things like that out of the blue?"

"I thought we became friends. You said that five minutes ago."

I became aware of my sudden outburst. He was just being nice. What was wrong with me?

"Yeah. We are friends. And I know you are being nice. I...am s-"

He put his hand on my mouth and looked into my eyes.

"You already forgot your promise?"

He smiled and ruffled my hair.

Yin was always ruffling my hair. I didn't know when was the first time he did it, but I noticed it was almost every time he saw me.

Nobody ruffled my hair before.

Nobody made me feel good about myself before.

"I am so glad I have you as my friend now Yin."

"See? You can always replace apologies and negative sentences with positive ones.

And I am so glad I have the honor of being your side."

He bowed. Like actually bowed down in front of me.

I laughed so hard. He was doing it so seriously.

We began to walk again.

"How do you do this?"

"Do what?"

"Staying positive and confident. I... would love to be more like you."

"It's okay. You have me now. I can teach you."

We smiled at each other.

As we were walking I realised I was taking steps lot more slowly than usual. He was like that too.

I guess we both liked each other's company and didn't want to part ways.

One part of my brain was trying to come up with an excuse to spend more time with my new friend.

The other part of my brain was making me feel bad about lying to Sarawat and then hanging out outside. I felt like I needed to stay in the hotel room like I was actually sick.

I could easily lie. However, the emotional burden of it would make me miserable so bad afterwards that I usually punished myself somehow.

Yin asked instead.