What Should We Have Done?

Pakunoda was dead, Kurapika felt the moment his nen killed her when she showed them her memories. The fever, nightmares and exhaustion didn't help him in thinking. He couldn't even open his eyes from the pain he felt inside them. Who would've thought, using emperors time twice in a day would be so exhausting.

He couldn't sleep right now, but he felt someone was in the room with him. Since they stayed quiet when he woke up and simply helped him drink water, he was sure it was Wanderer. Kurapika cleared his throat before speaking.

"... And the others?"

The voice belonged to Wanderer for sure, he heard him, and the sound of water falling along with his voice.

"Outside. It's night right now and I switched with Leorio."

Kurapika hummed, before feeling a cold towel being placed on his forehead. He shuddered before slowly getting used to it.

"I see... Are the kids okay?"

"They're thinking of the auction."

"The game, right?"

Wanderer made a sound of agreement, Kurapika wasn't sure what else he could say.

"... And Melody?"

"Waiting for your call, she's covering for you."

He'll have to thank her later...

Kurapika was out of conversation ideas, his mind still exhausted.

"... What are you going to do now?"

He didn't expect Wanderer to speak. Maybe his suprise was clear, since he heard Wanderer huff after speaking.

"... There's only one thing I can do. Find my companions eyes and finally, bring them peace."

He heard Wanderer hum.

"Revenge, isn't easy. Especially when you let the bastard go."

The pause allowed Kurapika to think before talking.

"... I, I was going to kill him."

With the silence, and no way of seeing Wanderers expression, it made talking easier for him.

"I just wanted answers, I wanted to understand how, and why... They could kill an entire village of people, how they could kill my family without caring... Or even bother to remember it... All for their own greed..."

Odd, the rage Kurapika often felt had changed into something else. The feeling he didn't let it ever evolve into.

"Hmm."

He took a deep breath to stabilize himself. But Wanderer was making it hard to calm down with his next words.

"I understand. The feeling of wanting to know why, someone did something that hurt you. And making them feel it ten times worse."

Kurapika couldn't help a self-berating chuckle from escaping.

"It seems we've had the same thoughts... Did you ever, do it?"

"No. I wasn't strong enough... But I also found something, more important."

Kurapika smiled upon thinking of what he considered more important. Three kiddos, a worriedsome old man, and a quiet teenager all appeared. The only reasons he would stop his revenge.

"Nahida, no?"

Wanderer hummed, the smile on his tone was clear even without seeing it.

"Perhaps. Hurry and sleep."

Kurapika didn't hear him speak, but he also didn't hear him leave.

"... Would you, have done it differently?"