Merle

Season 1

Dallas

The loud snarls of walkers were the only thing I heard for days. And based on my outlook of the city, they're everywhere. That being said...it surprises me that a group of douche bags ran through the city firing guns off and letting their car alarms echo through the streets. Don't they know that draws them in? I do not want to be breakfast.

I'm alone out here but it isn't a problem for me, being in the military for a few years makes you learn a thing or two about survival. Id say I was even more prepared due to my conspiracy theorist dad. I've spend all 24 years of my life listening to my father prepare me for things that weren't likely.

The man didn't make it although he prepped so hard for apocalyptic scenarios. He was prepared for war and terrorist scenarios and things like that. My father didn't think about flesh eating drool bags so he didn't make it long once the outbreak began. I couldn't even save him since I was out visiting a childhood friend. When I heard about the outbreak and made my way home, he was already dead. His guts were pooled around him, a freshly turned walker gnawing on his insides.

Now my father and I never had a loving relationship. He forced me into the military the moment I was old enough, saying how I had to follow his footsteps. He use to beat me down with wood panels and do other torturous things to toughen me up for the 'real world'. I suppose it worked out but I think i'd have preferred the childhood I saw others get. A childhood like my friend Glenn had. I was visiting his family the night the city went crumbling down. I can only hope he is doing okay since I left him once he assured me I was okay to check on my father. I haven't heard or seen him since I left.

I served in the marine for 6 years, I went home on a rare couple week break before the outbreak. When I got home that night and saw my father dead, I grabbed the survival bag, hooked up holsters for all my weapons, put on trusted clothes and got the fuck out. I carried all I could, enough to make surviving less miserable.

I had all the basic survival stuff in this bag, on my back with it is my quiver and my hands always held the bow. Two guns were placed on both of my hips and many knives were strapped in various places on my body. I was sure I'd never need them all, but being over prepared is better than underprepared.

My long blonde hair was pulled into a tight low bun and I wore a black hat on my head. I wore a pair of tight but moveable black pants, paired with a black long sleeve compression shirt. I even tossed a black leather jacket on, hoping it would be strong enough to withstand a walker bite.

I have continued to be surprised at the people i've seen running around, why would you not wear sleeves, boots, or pants? The more skin you have showing the easier it is for them to bite into your flesh and tear it away. Many of the walkers moping around with chunks taken out of them are in long flowing dresses, loose flannels, shorts and t-shirts.

The group I had heard a little while ago was on the rooftop next to the one I was on, making a hell of a lot of noise. Some guy was screaming for them to not leave him behind, but eventually he went silent and I had assumed they came back for him. After all you never leave a man behind, or at least that's what was standard in the military. Id risk my own life in the marines before I would've let one of my people die. Times have changed though, i'm sure many people tossed that phrase out the window since this began. I don't entirely blame them.

I was on my own and I wanted to keep it that way for now. I was doing fine on my own, sneaking in and out of places with few walkers catching sight of me. Sometimes I felt like one of them... walking around with no other purpose than to keep my body alive.

A screaming man brought me out of my rest and I immediately hopped up, hoping they didn't leave him. I glanced down the building and saw a white truck driving away. I heard him before sounding like an asshole but not a soul deserves to be left for dead on a rooftop. I think, anyway...