The Farm

Season 2
Dallas

A Moment

Daryl, Carol and Andrea were all in the RV together once it got dark, and Dale was on top of it to keep watch. Glenn had left earlier with T-dog to the farm, he insisted he'd be alight and that I can stay with Daryl to keep an eye on the others.

I was able to sneak off without Dale and the others noticing, hoping to look around for Sophia on the highway. Even though she's probably far from here it doesn't hurt to try. The highway was completely silent. The only sounds were from crickets and wind rustling the trees. If I weren't in an apocalypse, this would be relaxing.

I continued on, not deep into the woods but closer to the edge. There was no sign of anything, not even walkers.

I stopped when I heard footsteps. Of course I had to speak too soon, those steps are too heavy to be Sophia. I hid behind a tree and waited for the steps to pass so I could sneak up on the walkers.

As soon as the steps passed the tree I lifted my knife in the air with my right hand, before dropping it to my side, "Are you guys fucking crazy? I almost killed you!"

Daryl and Andrea jumped around to face me and looked startled, "D? The hell are you doin in the woods by yourself."

"I should be asking you that." I slid my knife into its holster, "I was just lookin around for Sophia incase she's around."

"That's what we were doing. How long have you been out here?" Andrea questioned.

"Since y'all went into the RV." I began walking again, "Told Dale I was goin in too so he wouldn't question me."

"It's dangerous for you to come out here by yourself." I just ignored him, not missing the weird look he was giving me. I'm already fed up with his antics. He treats me like he cares about me, tries telling me what to do but then starts acting like a dick just because I wanted him and Glenn to eat something. Does he want me to tell him to starve? Maybe he's got a kink.

Continuing to ignore the two, I stopped when I heard snarling, but there was no other movement I could hear.

"What the hell?" I heard Daryl say and then saw Andrea point her light up at a tree. There was a walker hanging from a tree and the flesh on his legs were ripped to bits, you could see his bones.

"Got bit. Fever hit. World gone to shit. Might as well quit." Daryl read off the paper that was stuck to the tree, "Dumbass didn't know enough to shoot himself in the head. Turned himself into a big swinging piece of bait... And a mess."

Andrea groaned and coughed at the sight, "You all right?"

"Trying not to puke." Andrea has got to have the weakest stomach I've ever seen on someone. She's always coughing and puking at anything gross. I gave her back a rub, "Just do it if you need to."

"No I'm fine. Let's just talk about something else for a minute." She kept her hand on her knees and looked at Daryl, "How'd you two learn to shoot?"

I didnt answer but Daryl did, "Gotta eat. That's one thing these walkers and us have in common-- I guess it's been the closest he's been to food since he turned." I continued to rub her back when she put her hands back on her knees, "Hanging up there like a big pinata. The other geeks came and ate all the flesh off his legs."

And now she's puking, way to talk about something else Daryl.

"I thought we were changing the subject."

"Call that payback for laughing about my itchy ass"

I think I've heard enough. I turned and started heading back to the highway, "Let's head back." I heard Daryl say from behind me. But I was already quite a bit ahead of them. Daryl's with her so she won't get attacked again. I really wish she'd make some effort to be useful, instead of sitting around playing with a gun and arguing with everyone else.