Chapter-8

As Amelia lay resting in her new chamber, the soft sound of a gentle knock at the door roused her from her thoughts. With a curious glance, she called out for the visitor to enter, "Please,come in."

The door creaked open, revealing a young girl with kind eyes and a warm smile. Dressed in a simple gown.

"Good evening, Miss," the girl greeted Amelia with a respectful bow. "My name is Lily, and I have been appointed as your handmaid by the royal court. It is an honor to serve you."

Amelia returned the girl's smile.  "Thank you, Lily. My name is Amelia," she replied with a nod. "I appreciate your assistance."

"Miss Amelia," Lily began softly, "General Cassius's mate is awake and wishes to meet you."

Amelia's eyes widened with surprise at the news,  "Thank you, Lily," she replied, her voice tinged with curiosity. "I would be honored to meet her."

With a nod of acknowledgment, Lily turned to lead Amelia to the quarters of the general's mate, her gentle presence a reassuring guide through the labyrinthine corridors of the palace.

As they made their way through the winding halls, Amelia's mind buzzed with questions and anticipation. "Have you met general's mate , Lily?"
"Aye. Miss Ela is very humble. Everyone likes her ."
"How long you have been working here? If you don't mind me asking. "
" It's okay Miss. You can ask me anything, I will try to answer with my little knowledge. And I have been working here since I was a child. My mother also works here. "
" Oh really! That's nice. Do you like it here? "
" Aye.. very much. His highness is very kind to us. "
" He is..? "
" Aye. "

Well.. that was not what Amelia had expected. King Aldric was known for his cruelty. Even the old book had described him as a cruel king. Maybe Lily was told to not say anything bad about him. Or maybe she was afraid of him.

As Amelia entered the general's chamber, she was greeted by a heartwarming scene—the general standing by his mate's side, their hands clasped together in a silent display of love and devotion. The tender exchange between them spoke volumes, their eyes shining with a shared understanding that transcended words.

With a warm smile, the general's mate beckoned Amelia to join them, her voice filled with warmth and kindness. "Please, come in," she invited, her gaze softening as she welcomed the healer into their midst.

Amelia stepped forward hesitantly, "Thank you for inviting me," Amelia murmured, her voice tinged with emotion as she took a seat beside them. The general's mate, sensing the weight of the moment, extended a hand in greeting, her voice gentle yet filled with warmth. "I am pleased to meet you, Miss Amelia," she said, her eyes crinkling with a smile. "My name is Ela, and it is a pleasure to welcome you into our home."
" Pleasure is all mine. " Amelia returned the smile.

As they settled into conversation, the atmosphere in the room grew somber, the weight of Ela's condition casting a shadow over their gathering. Despite her best efforts to maintain a brave facade, the weariness etched into Ela's features were evident.

Ela offered a weary smile, her hand instinctively moving to cradle her swollen belly. "It has been a difficult pregnancy, filled with complications and uncertainty. With the increasing rate of miscarriage.. I am scared."

As Ela spoke, the general's expression softened with concern, his gaze never leaving his mate's face. "We have sought the best medical care available," he added, his voice tinged with frustration. "But thus far, we have been unable to find a solution to her ailments."

"I would be honored to assist in any way I can," Amelia offered, her voice steady with determination. "Perhaps together, we can find a solution to your ailments and ease your suffering."