Chapter 2

In Jade's bedroom, that same day, she lay in bed, an empty tissue box on her nightstand. She had almost fallen asleep when someone knocked on her door.

"Who is it?" Jade asked, her voice raspy and rough.

"It's Beck," he hollered.

"Come in," Jade spoke.

Beck opened the door and came in. "Brought you some soup," he said, holding a cup in his hands.

"Hope it's vegetable soup," Jade said, coughing.

"Of course," Beck said. He handed his girlfriend the cup along with a plastic spoon.

"I figured you were seeing your brother today," Jade told Beck, as she played around with the vegetables that floated to the surface.

"Yeah. He came into town earlier today," Beck said.

"How's he doing?" Jade asked. She watched as Beck sat on the bed and noted how his entire body looked weary. "Wait," she asked him. "Is something up with you two?"

"Not really," Beck said. "Not yet anyway. I mean - don't take this the wrong way, it's just that sometimes he doesn't have the best intentions."

"What are you talking about? What do you mean? Because..." Jade asked.

"Not like that. Let's just say he tends to have a bad reputation," Beck shrugged, feeling uncomfortable.

"Oh. Well, still, I feel bad I won't get to see him," Jade said. "I shouldn't have gone to that party last night," she groaned, and started to cough once again.

"Don't beat yourself up over it," Beck said, patting her on the head. "Just stay in bed, and call if you need anything."

"Thanks, babe," Jade said.

"Feel better," Beck said as he left.

Jade updated her status on the Slap which read: "I HATE being sick - MOOD = Tired".

The next day, someone else knocked at Jade's bedroom door.

"Jade, it's Cat," Cat called out in her sweet voice.

"Cat, this isn't a good time," Jade said, still coughing.

"It's okay, I won't be long. I brought you something to try to help," Cat spoke through the door.

"Fine, but make it quick," Jade said as Cat let herself in. Cat examined Jade's bedroom as she entered, noting the wadded used tissues on the floor and politely stepping over them.

"Cat?" Jade spoke again.

"Oh," Cat giggled. "I brought you something." She opened the bag that she had brought with her.

"What is it?" Jade asked, propping herself up onto two pillows.

"It's veggie broth. My nona always makes this for me whenever I'm sick," Cat explained with a wide grin.

"Veggie broth?" Jade asked, eyeing her red-headed friend.

"Here, try some," Cat said, handing Jade a spoon.

Jade took one sip of the veggie broth and surprisingly smiled. "Wow, Cat; your nona makes a good veggie broth."

"Yay," Cat said, smiling as she clapped her hands excitedly.

"Thanks. And I don't mean to be rude, but – can you please leave?" Jade asked her. "I just want to rest."

"I'd rather stay and take care of you," Cat said, coming to sit down beside her friend.

"That's really nice," Jade said. "But I don't want you getting sick."

"I don't care," Cat sighed. "Look, Jade; I know you don't like a lot of people. But I know that behind that frown, there's some good inside of you."

"Look, that's really nice and all. But I've already missed the last three days of school," Jade explained. "Not that I don't mind, but I rather you not miss it too."

"Still, I'd rather be here with you in case you need something," Cat pleaded.

"What about Robbie? Won't he wonder where you are?" Jade asked.

"Rex keeps making Robbie take him to Northridge. I don't know why Robbie just won't say no, or allow Rex to go by himself," Cat asked.

Jade shrugged. "Dunno." She shrugged. "Won't you get bored staying here alone?"

"Not really. Well, maybe. But as long as you're already here, I thought of something that could pass the time," Cat said, playing with a strand of her hair.

"Okayyy?" Jade said.

"Do you know the game 'If I could, I would'?" Cat asked her.

"I guess?" Jade mused.

"I'll go first," Cat giggled. "If I could parade around my house naked, I would!"

Jade laughed hysterically. "Are you serious?"

"Yeahhh," Cat confirmed.

"Wow. I never would've guessed. Just promise me, you'll have clothes on if I ever come to your place," Jade said.

"Deal! Okay, your turn," Cat said with a smile.

"Okay," Jade paused for a moment and then looked back at her. "Um... if I could ask Beck to marry me, I would."

"So, what's stopping you?" Cat asked.

"Isn't it the guy's job to propose and not the girl's?" Jade asked. "I mean, that's the tradition, right?"

"Yeah, but so what?" Cat asked. "I mean, it doesn't matter; it's not like a rule. Either of you could propose."

"Interesting," Jade said. "Then maybe I'll go buy a ring once I'm feeling better."

"I'm sure he'll be glad to say yes," Cat giggled.