Chapter 3

Two days later, Jade finally recovered from her cold. At a movie theater, she followed Beck to their seats.

"I would rather have watched the movie at home," Jade said with a grimace. She watched the crowd gather up and take their seats to watch the previews before the movie.

"Come on, it'll be fun," Beck said, settling into his seat.

"Yeah, I guess," Jade muttered. "I'm still not well from that cold you know," she smirked.

"You said, you wanted a night out," Beck said.

Jade sighed, then she smiled. "Sure," she shrugged. "Bring me some popcorn," She tilted her head in his direction.

"Fine," Beck answered as he stood up. "I'll be back in a tick."

Jade tapped her fingers on the armrest of her seat, waiting for Beck to return. She started to hum a tune that had been stuck in her head since Monday's music class. And then she reached into her pockets to make sure the ring was perfectly safe. It was, which was a huge relief. Would he say yes? She wondered. They had been dating for years... yet he hadn't made a move. While she didn't mind being the one to ask, there was something inside of her that made her feel Beck would reject her.

After a minute of waiting, someone sat down beside her. Jade looked up, expecting Beck, already smelling his familiar cologne. Without thinking twice, she leaned over to the right, eyes closed,and started to kiss him, hoping to put him in a good mood before she proposed. Somehow, though, this kiss felt different and so she tried to pull away but it seemed she couldn't pull away, his force too strong. She could feel her blood begin to boil from the anger.

"Hey!" came Beck's voice from a distance.

Jade managed to finally break free, aware that she had kissed the wrong person. Furious, she rose up and drew her breath, angry to see Blake sitting there next to her, nonchalant.

"She came onto me," Blake called out to Beck, putting his hands up and leaning away from Jade.

"That's not true," Jade argued, gritting her teeth. "I thought he was you!" she told Beck.

"Really?" Blake asked with a chuckle.

"What are you even doing here? We're trying to have a date!" Beck asked.

"Thought I'd follow along, and join in on your fun." Blake told him.

Jade groaned. Blake seemed to find this whole thing funny, and it made her angry. She took a swing at Blake, but Beck stepped between them, trying to prevent a fight. Everyone there at the movie theater went quiet; it seemed the whole crowd was watching. And Jade definitely hated to be watched. Frustrated and worried that Beck wouldn't believe her, she stormed out of the theater. And as she did, she felt the ring inside of her pocket. What a disaster! Now Beck would *never* say yes.

Jade updated her status on the Slap which read: "I'm never going to a movie AGAIN - MOOD = Furious".

Meanwhile, at Tori's house, Tori was rehearsing a song with Andre beside the large grand piano in the living room.

"You were off-key," Trina told her as she came down the stairs.

"I was not off-key!" Tori retorted angrily. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and then looked back at Andre. "Was I?" she added in a small voice.

"Chillax, you were fine," Andre said. "You're gonna nail it at that audition tomorrow."

"Oh, I definitely hope so," Tori sighed. Just as she walked behind the counter to grab some juice, she heard a knock on the door. It was a very loud knock.

"TORI," came Jade's delightful voice. "I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE."

"I never said I wasn't," Tori muttered to herself as she went to open the door.

Jade barged right past her into the room. She paused and then looked at Andre and Trina. "OUT! NOW."

"You can't kick me out, I live here!" Trina argued.

Jade gave her a hard glare, "Want me to MAKE you?" she asked, hands on her hips.

Trina flinched. "Alright, alright! I'm out!" she said as she rushed out of the house. Jade then stared at Andre, who slowly gathered his things and left the house as well.

"Jade!" Tori shouted. "You can't just ask people to leave like that, in my house!"Jade looked at her with an icy glare. "Ugh. Okay, fine. You can," Tori said, resigned. "But why are you even here? Aren't you supposed to be out with Beck?"

Jade looked away for a moment and started to speak. Tori noticed tears in Jade's eyes; the smeared makeup made it apparent she had been crying earlier too. "Is everything okay?" Tori asked her, worried.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK THESE ARE?" Jade asked, gesturing towards her tears. "OF COURSE IT'S NOT OKAY."

"Stop yelling! Either you want to talk about it, or you leave the house," Tori put simply. "And why come to my house in the first place? You don't even like me!"

"I don't want anyone cool to see me like this!" Jade said, wiping away the black makeup from her eyes.

"Thank you," Tori said with irony. "Thanks a lot." She took a seat on the couch. "So, what happened? Or are you going to keep me guessing?"

"Well..." Jade began. She told Tori the story, the words coming out in a rush. "I thought he was Beck but he wasn't," she added. He was wearing the same cologne as Beck and everything! And I kissed him," she continued miserably. "It was just a mistake, but now I don't think Beck loves me anymore," Jade paused to take a breath.

Tori looked at Jade silently. "What? Wait,"she told Jade, eyes wide. "You kissed Blake?"

Jade nodded, tears still streaming down her face. "But not on purpose!" she insisted.

"And now you think that Beck won't love you anymore?" Tori asked.

"Is there an echo in the room?" Jade asked through gritted teeth. "Yes, that's what I said!"

"And you and Beck have been going out for how long?" Tori asked, eyes narrowed.

"A long time," Jade muttered with a groan.

"He would have known it was a mistake," Tori said confidently. "You couldn't have known it was Blake!"

"Yes, but Beck might see that differently," Jade mumbled.

"If I know Beck," – Jade shot her a sharp glare – "and let's assume I do," Tori corrected, "he thinks the world of you. He'd never believe you did it on purpose."

"You really think so?" Jade asked.

"I know so," Tori answered. "I mean. What's not to like? You're smart, you're..." Tori began to lose words to describe Jade and Jade stared at her coldly yet again. You're terrifying, she thought. "You're pretty! And Blake tricked you."

"I know," Jade stated as she sniffled.

Tori sighed. "I'm sure Beck still loves you," she said, placing a hand on Jade's arm. Jade shook it away. Can't see why though, Tori thought.

It was at that moment Tori's phone rang. She pulled it out of her pocket. "It's Beck," she said.

"Tell him, I'm not here," Jade hissed.

"Hi, Beck," Tori said as she answered the phone. "Jade? Oh yes, she's here." Jade gritted her teeth and stared at Tori."Oh really? She's not answering her phone?" Tori asked Beck. "Yeahh, strange. You want her to meet you there? Sure. I'll let her know. Bye."

"What does he want?" Jade asked Tori as soon as she hung up.

"He wants you to meet him outside the Asphalt Cafe," Tori said.

"Oh," Jade whispered.

"Are you going?" Tori asked. Jade froze, unable to answer. "Just go, Jade!" Tori quickly becoming irritated.

"Fine," Jade grunted as she stood up. "Do I look okay?"

Tori sighed before responding. "You might want to freshen up."