intro.

To say Juniper DuBois was nervous was a huge understatement

To say Juniper DuBois was nervous was a huge understatement. After all, it was her first reaping and she wouldn't be surprised if her name was pulled. Everyone knew she had bad luck. After all, she was the only child in her town to have her birthday on Reaping Day.

"Juni?!" the girl heard, forcing her to open her eyes.

"Yes?" Juniper replied, sighing as she tried to sit up.

"You're still in bed?" her sister muttered, sighing as she went to the closet to pick out an outfit.

"I'm tired," Juniper muttered, rubbing her eyes as she watched her sister lay out a dress for her. 

"Juni," her sister muttered, sitting on the edge of the bed with her, "I know you're nervous, but you've got to get ready."

"I'm scared, Willow," Juniper whispered, glancing up at her sister as tears filled in her eyes. Willow frowned, pulling her little sister in for a hug as she smoothed her hair.

"Hey, you're going to be okay. I'm going to protect you," Willow reassured her, squeezing tighter. Juniper let out a wet chuckle as she clung to her sister, not wanting to let go.

"You promise?"

Willow smiled softly, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear before nodding.

"I promise."

Juniper let out a sigh of relief, clinging closer.

"Now, get dressed. We're gonna be late!"

-

Juniper sighed as she walked slowly toward the town square, hand-in-hand with Willow. As much as she appreciated Willow's comfort, she couldn't help but feel that something was wrong.

"Juni, I need to go stand with the other Eighteen-year-olds. Why don't you go to the front, okay?" Willow instructed, letting go of Juniper's hand. But Juniper's eyes widened in fear, unable to leave her sister's side.

"You're okay, Juni. I'll come get you right after it's over."

Juniper hesitated but reluctantly walked toward her section, standing in between the twelve-year-olds. Juniper squeezed her eyes shut as she waited for the mayor to come on stage, shaking slightly in anticipation.