02 | do you get deja vu?

Juniper froze as her name was called, eyes flickering to Treech, who flinched at the mention of his friend

She really did have terrible luck, huh?

Slowly, Juniper made her way through the crowd, hands shaking as she wiped them on her dress. From all around her, Juniper could hear the whispers of the crowd.

'Wasn't she called her first year too?'

'Wow. She really got her boyfriend picked.'

'Remind me not to get close to her. Look how that turned out for her sister.'

Juniper gritted her teeth as she held her head up high, hoping to seem a fraction as brave as Treech as she approached the stage. But as usual, the universe did not seem to care for what Juniper wanted.

"JUNIPER!" her ma called out, making her way into the square, held back by only a few Peacekeepers, "NO! YOU CAN'T DO THIS! YOU CAN'T TAKE MY BABY!"

Juniper let the tears prick in her eyes as she watched her ma attempt to fight the Peacekeepers off.

"Ma!" Juniper called out, agony in her eyes, "Ma! I'm okay!"

Juniper's ma stopped fighting for a moment, letting tears stream down her face as she stared up at her baby girl.

"Just let me go," Juniper muttered, body shaking as she sent her ma a sad smile. From the corner of her eye, Juniper could see Treech falter again, hands fidgeting by his side.

Now that her ma had gone completely still, frozen by Juniper's words, the Peacekeepers took their opportunity to escort her away from the crowd. And all Juniper could do was just stand there and watch.

"Well, why don't you two shake hands," the mayor instructed, a relieved smile on his face as he gestured to the two. Juniper noted the crumpled slips in his pocket giving her a bitter taste in her mouth.

That's really what they meant to him, huh? Just crumpled slips of paper.

For the first time since getting reaped, Treech met Juniper's gaze, extending a shaking hand as tears pooled in his eyes. When had he begun to cry? Was it because of her?

Juniper let out a choked sob, shaking his hand for a moment before pulling him in for a hug instead.

"Juni," Treech muttered, gripping her tightly. Juniper squeezed her eyes shut, letting her body convulse in his embrace before the two were pulled apart and ushered off stage.

"Let's go. You can have a moment later," one of the Peacekeepers insisted, shoving Juniper toward the train.

-